• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late christmas present came...:(

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well after a long dispute with fedex, i was finally able to get my package. So i opened it up only to be kind of disapointed.... I recently installed some 1" spacers to gain alittle more clearance of my 32's. Well i ordered a 1" extended shackle as well, when i look at the box, i actually realize its from Rough Country, open the shackles up and look at them and the bushings seem to run almost flush with the lip of the shackle, and im worried about the ride quality. Im currently riding under a self built spring pack, that involves an AAL and some XJ mains that gave me about 4" of lift. So im worried what the shackle might do to it, and whether or not it would be smart to not install them.....need some input before i slap a return sticker on these bad boys.
Also heres the link to what i ordered http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
but this is what i got
010908_075600.jpg

Link doesn't work, those are indeed RC shackles. I've got 'em and they work fine, but I think they're 1-2" With the amt of lift determined by which bolt holes you use.

As for the AAL issue, I'd guess you might make it sag even faster with longer shackles but can't really see any other problem with the setup.

I can't say it was only the shackles, as I added an RE 3.5" main leaf at the same time I added the shackles, but the bastard pack, AAL, and shackles (at 2") is smoother than just the AAL.

Sorry about the bait and switch tho, sucks not getting what you ordered.

yep those are rc and the 2 holes are 1.5 and 2" of lift depending on what hole used. i have these same shackles on mine and they do fine with no complaints.
mike

I have ran multiple pairs of the RC shackles and got by fine for years. No complaints here. Now if RC would come out w/a boomerang shackle..that would be tits wigglin'.

94xj6.5 said:
yep those are rc and the 2 holes are 1.5 and 2" of lift depending on what hole used. i have these same shackles on mine and they do fine with no complaints.
mike

So if i use the top hole, it will give me 1.5" of lift? because i ordered 1" shackles and that would be too much because i have a 3/4" spacer of front and i dont want the rear sitting higher. I did all this to try and level the jeep out, not make it worse. But my spring pack has settled as i've had it for 2 years, and has not sagged yet, but im just worried by throwing in this shackle, that it will make it sag......but I've heard flatter leaf packs flex better :)

well if you want 1" of lift, you need a 2" shackle...

you're only adding lift to one end of your leaf springs, therefore you gain half the total height of the shackle

i.e. 2" shackle = 1" lift ; 1.5" shackle = .75" lift

good luck

the shackle he got will give 1.5" or 2" of lift. i would try the 1.5" hole(top) and see what you think, and yes the flatter the pack the better it will flex.
mike

theNAST1EST said:
well if you want 1" of lift, you need a 2" shackle...

you're only adding lift to one end of your leaf springs, therefore you gain half the total height of the shackle

i.e. 2" shackle = 1" lift ; 1.5" shackle = .75" lift

good luck
That doesn't make any sense!!!!

A 2" lift shackle WILL give you 2" because it's 7" eye to eye!

Stock eye to eye is 3" you get half an inch for every inch you go over that.

So a 6 inch boomerang shackle will give you 1.5" of lift!!!

wait a second, this is easy.

if you ordered JKS shackles and got RC shackles instead....send them back for the right ones :)

Don't forget, leaf springs are customizable unlike coils. Add the shackles at 2" and then remove a leaf. Experiement till you get the height you want.

I didn't order JKS shackles, i just got a different shackle than what was pictured. I really don't like the design, so i think im going to just send em back. My jeep is level enough with the 3/4" spacer up front to where i can just re-trim the rear to make it "look" even enough.

Cherokeekid88 said:
I didn't order JKS shackles, i just got a different shackle than what was pictured. I really don't like the design, so i think im going to just send em back. My jeep is level enough with the 3/4" spacer up front to where i can just re-trim the rear to make it "look" even enough.

Ok i wasn't sure what you ordered cuz the link for the product you posted doesn't work so i assumed it was jks. My bad.

the rough country shackles you have seem to be a stroke of good luck compared to those pictured. They have a gusset between the two straps, making it stronger, and they are adjustable. what don't you like about them?

your argument that they have the bushing flush with the shackle doesn't make sense if the one pictured has the same issue.

i say keep the RC shackles, they are better than the ones you ordered

No no, i meant that the ones on the website, i didn't like how the bushing were flush, but figured they could be swapped for different bushings. I basically realized that i dont really need them, as im only about .5" lower in the rear than im in the front. Im not crazy about the RC design, and if i was going to go with a shackle id prolly save and get some JKS ones.

Back