• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hobart handler 140 v. Lincoln Pro mig 140

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm johnny-come-lately with my own "I want a mig" thread.

Pretty convinced I want a 110 unit for portability and hook up issues. I currently rent and though I could make an adapter cord, it seems like a bitch for not much gain for my uses.

I was looking at the lincoln promig 140, but I can get the hobart for about $100 cheaper and its actually made in the USA (low end lincs are made in mexico). I'd like a miller, but $$$- hobart is owned by miller now anyways so...

I plan on using my welder to make a rear tow bumper, some cage work, replace rockers with box tube, you know the deal. Don't really forsee anything getting thicker than 1/4"

The linc claims it'll weld up to 5/16" with fluxcore, the hobart says it'll do 1/4" but no mention of fluxcore- methinks that linc is claiming the extra 1/16" from the extra heat of fluxcore, anyone have more experience with it?

I'm planning on buying a bigger (probably stick) machine down the road, so I'm looking for the mig equivalent of a DD. Since I'm not looking for the capability to do more than 1/4", would I gain anything more than duty cycle and headaches whenever I want to take the machine to a friends house or an event by going with a 220 machine?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've never used a mig setup. Done lots of stick work, everyone tells me I'm about to be spoiled.

I have both a 110 and 220 wire feed. my 110 is a Snap-On and works great for anything 1/8 and thinner, but my Miller is way better and worth the Money. It is cool to have a 65 foot cord on my 110 though.

I have never used anything but this welder but the Hobart Handler 140 that I just bought as been more then plenty for what I've been welding... So far I have made a winch bumper on the front of a Samurai and in the middle of making the winch bumper for my Jeep. Since you plan to get a larger stick welder in the future I'd say go for the 110 Mig. Simple to weld with! I love it!

Back