• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitches

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The factory rear hitch in my 91 beater is pretty sad condition. I found a local shop that can sandblast and powerdcoat the thing, but I'm thinking about a backup option of finding a replacement but they all seem to be pretty different from the original. Does anybody make a drop-in replacement that uses the same holes?

I would like to put a pair of receivers up front under the bumper (through the air deflector) like what you see on some tow-behind jeeps that people strapped to their RVs. I want to go this route so that I can interchange hooks and rings and also so I can have a long-distance towing option. Alas, all I can find are the hooks and shackles and new bumpers with a single center receiver. Do you suppose that it would be feasible to take something like the C&C hook kit and convert that to square tubing?

As far as the rear goes, hidden hitch makes a nice piece that uses the stock holes and even comes with all the stuff that makes it very easy to install.

Here are two hitches made for the '84-'01 Cherkokee.

Putnam 25143 5000# cap no drill
Valley 73610 3500# cap no drill

When I say no drill, both hitches will use existing mounting points in the frame. All hardware to install them is included. Both capacities listed are standard rating, not with the weight distribution system (which generally increases the towing capacity).

If my '88 didn't already have a hitch on it, my money would be spent on the Putnam.

Ed

Thanks for the pointers. Here is what I've found.

It looks like the Valley 73610 javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$hInstruction','') is the most like OEM, with four bolts, and has the same side panel cuts as the OEM hitch, although different view of the same model shows a different main bar. Retail price is in the $150 range.

31V0N55W1QL._AA280_.jpg
21BSKJ40RZL._AA250_.jpg

The Valley 82650 is also listed as compatible and has a slightly higher capacity ranking (4000 lb non-distributed weight) over the 73610 (3500 lb non-distributed), but it is a multi-vehicle model with adjustable main bar (see the holes and pins?) that looks like more maintenance trouble than the extra capacity is worth. Retail seems to be in the $200 range.

21F9vShGqPL._AA250_.jpg

The Putnam 25143 looks pretty good but is a slightly different side panel shape and only appears to use three of the bolts per side instead of all four. Nice simple model design though. Retail prices are in the $150 range.

31CRB5CKATL._AA280_.jpg

The Hidden Hitch 87591 also has side panels that are different from OEM and only uses three bolt holes per side. It also has a curved bar. Retail prices in the $220 range.

digimarc.ms

They are all no-drill kits with the same basic 3500/5000 lb capacity. None of them include electrical packages.

javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$hInstruction','')

You only want a Cherokee specific hitch. Generic one size fits many vehicle hitches hang down really low and I don't like the idea of a bolt together drawbar. A hitch designed for a Cherokee will bolt onto any model year of Cherokee. Valley makes a nice hitch, Drawtite is another good one, both fit up tight below the stock bumper.

I looked the Valley and Putnam part numbers up right out of the application guide on my desk here at work. Like Tim_MN said, get one that is specifically for the 84-01 Cherokee. Don't waste good money on the Universal type 82650 Valley. Those things are junk. Putnam jokingly calls the 3 piece main tube hitches Reeses-Pieces (after the Reese company who makes similar type units). I've seen too many sag where the tubes slide in each other.

Like I said, Putnam all the way.

Ed

I like the hitch bumpers too but I'm concerned about height of the receiver especially after lifting--a low-hanging hitch would probably be more stable for towing. There is also the issue that a tire holder or accessory holder would partially block the bumper receiver. I don't think it would matter for recovery.

Best solution would be to have one of each but I don't know if that's possible since they would probably use the same frame holes.

Back