• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you guest my gears?

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
89xj 4.0 ba10 peugot 5spd tranny, new clutch, new flywheel, 31's and previous owner didnt know much about it. I keep up with traffic in a 55mph zone running between 45 and the hash inbetween 45 and 50 mark. So i know i dont have the 3.07 then because people on here have told me i would be around 5mph off in 5th gear.

Can anybody tell me what gears i have? thanks:eek:

you think everyone in a 55 zone is driving exactly 55?

Most likely you have 3.07 UNLESS you have a tow package...

okay well now im figuring out how much my odometer is off. does anyone know how much 1 mile on the odometer is worth with my 31's and 3.07's?

I was running a slipping clutch and couldnt use 5th gear and i filled it up full and i drove 120miles and filled up again and i put 13gallons o gas in. So i figure 9.23mpg. I know darn well that is right maybe close cause i was in 4th gear. My clutch is new so i can run 5th. But i would like to know what the actual mileage is.

Screw taking the cover off... Put your jeep on level ground, chock the front wheels, put a jack under the back axle so the rear tires are off the ground, put your t-case in N and undo your parking brake. Then spin your driveshaft 10 times and count how many times your tires rotate.

ie 3 rotations is probably 3.07 and 3.5 rotations is 3.55 etc.

Enjoy... NAXJA

-Alex

mmmmm...doughnuts....

alexer03 said:
Screw taking the cover off... Put your jeep on level ground, chock the front wheels, put a jack under the back axle so the rear tires are off the ground, put your t-case in N and undo your parking brake. Then spin your driveshaft 10 times and count how many times your tires rotate.

Enjoy... NAXJA

-Alex

I agree, this is the easy way to tell for sure....or just open the diff up and look, hell, you probably need to change the fluid anyhow.

alexer03 said:

Enjoy... NAXJA

-Alex

Close, but backwards.

Turn the tires once, count the driveshaft rotations. Then 3 means 3.07, 3.5 is 3.55, like you said.

The 3.07:1 ratio is driveshaft : axlesaft.

I can explain the math later if you want, but I gotta get to work now...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
Close, but backwards.

Turn the tires once, count the driveshaft rotations. Then 3 means 3.07, 3.5 is 3.55, like you said.

The 3.07:1 ratio is driveshaft : axlesaft.

I can explain the math later if you want, but I gotta get to work now...

Robert

Shouldn't they both work the same?
He's just saying the ratio this way - 1:3.07

the tag doesnt matter. The previous owner before the one i bought it off of said he went thru a lot axles. So maybe he put a deeper gear axle in. I guess not. I just heard people complaining how 31 and 3.07 is so sluggish. I dont think its bad, its tolerable. I just cant imagine 456's in it. Almost pull a dirt or road wheelie. SO its 11% off for the speedo and the odometer also?

my guest is as good as you guest.

/end sarcasm.

Most of the axle tags I've seen were bolted right to the axle. Did you look to see if there is a code tag on the axle? If there's not then follow some of the previous advice generously given by those who know. If there is a tag I guest you can find the right ration there.

joshv98xj said:
Shouldn't they both work the same?
He's just saying the ratio this way - 1:3.07
No they shouldn't. The ring gear is much bigger than the pinion, so if you turn the ring gear around once, it will turn the pinion 3.07 times. Therefore, 3.07:1. If you turn that pinion once, it will not turn the ring gear 1 full time, since it requires the pinion to turn a full 3.07 times for 1 axle rotation, let alone 3.07 times, therefor it cannot be 1:3.07.

Back