• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing the Odometer in Cluster Swap.

mtnman262

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there all,
I have read all the threads about doing a gauge cluster swap in my 01 XJ SE so I know all the details about how easy it would be. So I went ahead and picked up a new cluster from ebay. The new cluster is in awesome condition but has 106,000 miles on it according to the seller (it was pretty cheap too). My XJ has about 87,000. I read a few posts that said that either the Dealer or a local speedometer shop can reset the ODO in the new cluster so that it matches the orig so I did not worry about this at the time I bought it.

So here's the problem... I called every jeep dealer from Milwaukee, WI to Waukegan, IL and none of them say they can do it. The only speedometer shop in a 75 mile radius of my place says they can do it... for $195 dollars!!! (Additionally, the guy there told me that the ODO reading is stored in the ECU and the Cluster to provide a check and balance system and that if I went ahead and installed the new cluster that when the ECU compares the two readings it would set both equal to the higher value. This is obviously to prevent people from just swapping in new clusters to keep their mileage low)

Any ideas?

Here's what I'm thinking, what do you think...
1. Go ahead and bite the big one and install the cluster knowing that it would increase the mileage by almost 20,000... I thought this might be fine since I dont have any plans to get rid of this truck but I dont know what would happen the next time I go through emissions. Does anybody know the from required to disclose the mileage change to the state?

2. Keep looking for a new cluster on ebay that is closer in mileage and then sell the one I have... The risk here is that I may not be able to find anything for a while and It may not be in as good condition or as cheap.

3. Wait until my actual ODO get closer to 106 before performing the install. Based on my current mileage trends I figure I should be able to install this in Sept. of 2009!! I dont think I can hold off this long...

Any ideas you guys (or gals) could provide would be greatly appreciated...

Eric
Racine, WI
2001 XJ

I did this in my '92, my jeep had 109,xxx and the new cluster had like 120,xxx, i did not bother with changing the mileage because i'm going to keep the jeep intil it becomes a big paperweight, as for the emissions and such i have not had any problem with that, i'd say just hook it up and if any questions come up just say you went on a long cross-country trip... well good luck and good riddence to the big gas gauge!

Last edited:
I was going to add and aftermarket temp gauge to my 93 xj, but after read this got on ebay and found one with an odometer reading within a thousand miles of my stock cluster, some luck huh.

older models can be easily changed....its the newer digital ones that are hard.

Did you check with the seller of the cluster and see if you could get the ECU also?

i just changed my basic cluster out in my 99 for a delux cluster. it went up 100,000 miles but when i plugged the old on in it read 130,000 again so I'd have to say gauge guy is wrong. I just wrote down both milages at time of swap and kept the old one, if they cant deal with that at sale tim hell with em!

Back