• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much is it worth

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 89 2 door sport with 248,xxx miles on it here at a small mom n pop used car dealer here in town. It has a 4.0, auto, 4wd. body is fairly straight with no rust. The back hatch will not open, and he claims it needs a starter ( the way it was described sounds like nss). There looks to be oil everywhere under it (rear main maybe?), but it showed full when I checked it. Interior is pretty shabby too...I would say a 2 out of 10. He thinks it has a new motor, but it didn't look that way to me. The motor was extremely dirty, and the oil on the dipstick was black. However, I think he may have been thinking new tranny due to the fact that the tranny fluid looked like new. The actual owner was not there today, and I was talking to the secretary who really didn't know that much about it. We couldn't even start it because she didn't know which key went to it (there were about a hundred of them in a box). She did say that it had been on their lot a while though. I am gonna go by there Friday and talk to him, and would like to be armed with the collective knowledge of the pros here at naxja. I looked up the KBB on it and came up with 880 bucks, but how is that swayed by a newer motor or tranny. I am planning to just throw out a rediculously low offer...Btw the way he is asking $1600 which is incredibly high I think.

TIA,
Nathan

$1600 is rediculous. Show me receipts for what you claim to be new and maybe we can negotiate. I paid less than that for my 91 fully loaded in pretty good condition and 155K on the clock. I personally wouldn't pay more than $500. Actually, it sounds more like a parts wagon for $200 to be honest, but without pics it's hard to say. Keep in mind that 4.0 is not the H.O.
Good Luck.

I agree, $1600 is rediculous. Sounds like alot of problems. I would make a really low offer but if he wont take it, keep looking. that thing sounds to be in bad shape the way you describe it.

Low-ball (real low-ball) 'em, them move on! :cheers:

I bought an old chevy truck years ago...Dealer wanted $3000...it was only worth $1800 at most. I asked them what was the lowest offer I could make without insulting them...they laughed and said $2500. I left without saying a word. I think they were insulted anyway. When I came back a month later and the truck was still there, I asked the same people if they were serious about selling this truck or not...they said Yes....I offered $1500, thinking the would drop to $2000, and that we would eventaully agree on $1800. To my surprise they accepted my offer of $1500!!! I used the truck for almost 3 years, really enjoyed it, did all the normal maintenance....sold it to a friend for $1500.
He still has it! I wish I never sold it!

McQue

dspilot said:
Yeah, I'm thinking 200 bucks or so.
I agree. Thats what i paid for my 87 2 dr laredo. It needed some work to get running. But as luck has it i had access to a shop along with wholesale prisces for parts. $1000 got it running strong.

Yeah, I'm thinking if it has either a new motor or tranny (I should be able to get some kind of documentation when I talk to the owner), that gives it a little value anyway. Besides, it won't be a DD. I'd like to keep it street legal, but it will be a build project.

I just bought an 89 for $300 pretty run down and was a crap shoot as to weather it would run or not. Put a battery to it and it turns over but compression is as low as 25psi in some cylinders and as high as 90psi in others... gonna throw a motor in it tonight I am buying for 400 bucks and should have a good running cherokee for right at 1k or under. Gonne rebuild the old motor and either keep it for a spare or sell it and get some $$$ back.

Back