• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lubrication for t-case linkage

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
Quick Question,
I have noticed that shifting into 4HI is somewhat clunky. I checked my shift linkage and found that it was rather corroded and dirty. I plan to clean the linkage and apply rust converter. I would also like to grease all joints in the linkage. Is this a bad idea for any reason? Is clunky shifting normal? Is there any peferable lubrication for T-case linkage?

Thanks,

ecgtech
89 XJ
4.0 Auto

Last edited:
DSC00366.jpg

This kit is available from the dealer. About $20.00 Don't break the adjuster bolt off. When you get the linkage off you can heat the bolt and soak it to free it up. The little plastic bushings are a pain to put in, but they will tighten up the loose ends. I lubed everything when I put it back together. Some argue that lubing linkages like this holds dirt. I would rather deal with the bushing being worn every 5 or 10 years then everything rusted and worn. This will remove most of the slop in the linkage. You will notice some normal clunking when shifting. When shifting to low range stop completely and put the transmission in neutral first.

Back