• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery cable upgrade on an '01

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
i've read a few write ups on this, but they're always dedicated to older models

after reading this write-up: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm
i decided to go ahead and do this mod

however after tracking down and tracing the alternator wire i realized that it just runs straight from the alt to the same post on the pdc that the battery to pdc cable goes to..........and i don't appear to have the two 60A fuses mentioned in the write up, unless they are labeled as something else

it seems to me that there is no need for a separate megafuse on the alt wire, and i can just run it straight from the alt to the pdc with no fusing........is this true for the later models??? i'm a little confused

I do not have a 2001 FSM handy - the latest I go right now is 1999.

However, you probably have a fusible link (there were using them in 1999 - it will be a different colour and slightly smaller than the alternator lead) that, realistically, should be replaced. Therefore, replacing it with a fuse of some variety (if you have the OEM alternator, use about 100A worth of fuse. Upgrades can be advised separately...) is a DAMN GOOD IDEA.

Even if you don't decide to order cabling from me (I do supply HD mains - but I don't have measurements for the 2001XJ yet...) I'd greatly appreciate it if you would measure each cable you pull out and send me the measurements. Please measure from the centre of one attachment point to the centre of the other, and round that UP to the next whole inch. Append that to where the cable runs (battery to starter, for instance,) and what size rings are on the ends of the thing (ignore the battery clamps - just measure to the centre of where the post would go.)

If you'd like me to clarify this, please PM me and let me know what you need sorted out, and I'll see if I can explain it a little better. I tend to skip things when I'm explaining in a hurry, and I don't know what your experience level is...

If you'd like more information on my cabling, there's a link in my sig...

5-90

i'd gladly send you measurements when i'm done, i'm only doing the two battery grounds, alt wire, and battery to pdc wire.....it didn't seem necessary to change the braided ground strap on the firewall

Fred85 said:
i'd gladly send you measurements when i'm done, i'm only doing the two battery grounds, alt wire, and battery to pdc wire.....it didn't seem necessary to change the braided ground strap on the firewall

Give it time...

Fortunately, that one didn't seem to change over the years. However, that open braid just attracts crap and causes trouble - even replacing it with something like a 12AWG or 10AWG wire with sealed ends will be a HUGE help!

5-90

My 2001 system is slightly more complex b/c of my battery isolator. However, I have 2Ga. run from the alternator to a 150AMP breaker, then to the isolator alternator post from the breaker. Then, a run from the isolator to the positive battery post. (In your case this would be a straight run from the alternaotr to the battery through a breaker or fuse) Then from the battery post I have a run to the terminal on the PDC which powers the vehicles eletrical system. Everythink has been running well now for about 1000miles. I was also curious about the OEM fusible link, I did not take a look for the fuses yet. I'll look around and see if I have them. I need to replace the ground strap next, but I have yet to find a ring terminal that will fit over the bolt on the engine block...I suppose it needs a 1/2"...

5-90, i saw the change in wire size/color on the alt wire which you said indicated the fusible link

forgive the ignorance, but what exactly is a fusible link and what type of fuse does it use??

i mean i understand it's self explanatory; a link between two pieces of wire that is fused.......but where is the fuse for it??

The wire IS the fuse. A "fuslble link" is typically a bit of wire made from a low-melting alloy (similar to a fuse element,) covered in Hypalon insulation (which bubbles and distorts with heat,) and it is usually spec'd as being 4 sizes smaller than the circuit it is protecting. If a fusible link "blows," you'll probably see the insulation bubbled and slightly discoloured, and the wire itself will melt, so the insulation is the only thing holding it together (making it something that can be felt rather easily.)

I have been trying to get information on fusible link ampacity so I can replace them in RENIX, but replacing the alternator FL is easy - you simply select a fuse (probably ANL or AGU) that is the next rating HIGHER than the alternator's max rated output. For OEM units, the alternator is rated for 85-90A, so select a 100A fuse (OEM uses a pair of 60A MAXI fuses in some applications, making for a total circuit capacity of 120A.)

Fusible links are comparable to "slow-blow" fuses - but are more difficult to replace, since you need to cut and splice. I vastly prefer fuses...

5-90

The spec sheet for the 2001 Cherokee lists it as having a 124AMP Alternator as standard equip. I used a 150 AMP breaker operating on this premise, are you sure about the 60-90 AMP limit?

Found 1/2" lugs @ DelCity.net good prices and service.

Last edited:
Actually, no. I don't have an FSM past 1999, so I'm going off earlier models. I don't see a reason to install a 124A alternator in an XJ, but I'm not an OEM (just some mechanic trying to break over into engineering...)

Might one ask where you saw that spec? I'd like to peruse it/them, if it's available to me as well...

5-90

the 124A alternator was on my spec sheet from DC as well

5-90, i'll probably wait until this weekend when i have some free time to swap the cables.....then i'll send you the cable lengths

Fred85 said:
the 124A alternator was on my spec sheet from DC as well

5-90, i'll probably wait until this weekend when i have some free time to swap the cables.....then i'll send you the cable lengths

Interesting - I hadn't seen that spec anywhere. I'll have to file it for future reference - care to list your electrical options? That still sounds high, but they may be thinking like me (overbuild...)

Thanks in advance for the measurements - like I'd said, I'd appreciate lengths between centres (rounded UP to the next inch,) ring sizes, and what they're for. Don't worry about "ring sizes" for the battery clamp ends - they're going to be 3/8".

I can be reached via PM here, or 5-90 AT naxja DOT org (my email here,) or JeepI6Power AT yahoo DOT com (WiP email.)

5-90

I found it listed on a link from a previous thread. I was supprised as well, as the dealer told me I most likely had a 60AMP alternator that I was going to blow if I continued to pile accessories onto my battery. I don't have the link to the thread but I saved the site http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_reference.asp?section=2&ID=0

Back