• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pump replacement question

sigmund

NAXJA Forum User
I've been losing oil pressure for the last few weeks, almost 25psi over that period. I guess it's time to change the oil pump. Does the oil pan have to come out completely to remove the pump, or will it drop enough to allow me to remove it? It's a '95. How long an operation is it going to be?

Search " rearmain seal replacement" I think its in there. Yes the pan needs to come out and it should be about a 4 hour job. But if your loosing oil pressure its usualy caused by worn out main and rod bearings. Just a thought.

Mc hit the nail on the head. Don't try to put a bandaid on a cut that needs stiches. A new pump will hide your problem till you ruin the motor. Find out why your losing oil psi, first.

IF you do end up changing the oil pump, go ahead and do the rear main as well. When I replaced my pump, I opted not to do the rear main and well now I need to break open the pan again to change it out. Its just more of a pain than difficult i think...

mcnamaag said:
Search " rearmain seal replacement" I think its in there. Yes the pan needs to come out and it should be about a 4 hour job. But if your loosing oil pressure its usualy caused by worn out main and rod bearings. Just a thought.

Wouldn't the bearing wear be much more of a gradual loss of oil pressure? I'm talking two weeks, not two years.

could be sludge cloging up the screen on the pump syphon, or just a bad sensor. but i agree i don't think is engine ware . spend a little extra get a new pump, new rear main seal, and get the more expensive rubber oil pan gasket. also to make thing easier you'll want to undo the motor mounts and lift the engine a couple of inches. dont forget to properly torque the rear bearing cap and oil pan

sigmund said:
Wouldn't the bearing wear be much more of a gradual loss of oil pressure? I'm talking two weeks, not two years.

It depends. I have had bearings go out with NO warning. Just loss of oil pressure followed by the distinct sound of rattles and knocks. Do what you want its your Jeep.:wave:
Im just trying to save you a lot of headach later. Since you have the pan off why not check your mains and rods. Oil pumps generaly go out gradually BTW. A bearing can spin or "flat spot" in less than a second.

you should be able to replace it without completely removing the oil pan, but why bother? You'll just fight with it more that way then by trying to wedge the oil pan out of the way, and work away in there. When you have the pan off, do the RMS while your at it. You may as well check the mains and rod bearings with plastigauge while your in there. Bearings are cheap, and if you suspect any wear I would just replace them while you have the pan off. It's a somewhat messy job, so you'll probably only want to do it once. May as well do it right the first time.

sigmund said:
I've been losing oil pressure for the last few weeks, almost 25psi over that period. I guess it's time to change the oil pump. Does the oil pan have to come out completely to remove the pump, or will it drop enough to allow me to remove it? It's a '95. How long an operation is it going to be?

First make sure you have really lost pressure,make sure the gauge or sender is not the problem. if you have been loosing pressure then you should remove the pump and check the clearances "oil pumps do wear out" so if its in bad shape you should replace. pan needs to be removed and you may want to replace the rear main seal like suggested.

Back