• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 swap to 92

whitehead

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I'm new to the site, but not Jeeps.. been working on my first XJ.

I've got a stock 92 Cherokee Laredo ... basically resurrected it from a buddies backyard.. It came with no tires; no radiator; no tcase and a wasted interior from the saggy dust laden headliner to the a rusted gaping whole in the rear floor board.. yep above the muffler. His wife drove it as Mail Route Jeep... this thing has 265,xxx miles on it.. no smoke, or knocks and runs like a champ.

Another buddy has a wrecked 98 I've been grabbing stuff from.

So far...
  1. I put the 98 transfer case in with no problems except the speedometer. I know what needs done for that.
  2. I swapped the radiator from the 98 into the 92... no problems.
  3. Windsheild wipers and cowl... no problems.
  4. I've swapped the doors over so I got the full windows on the front and the new panels on all doors. I did keep the rear passenger door from the 92 and just swapped all the guts from the 98 door into it. No problems there... door strikers were a bit of a pain; but have them all lined up and I just tack welded them in. New doors open and close great.
  5. I've swapped the carpet and all interior peices and will be doing the center console soon.. I have all the bracketry from the 98 so the e-brake should switch over fairly easy.
  6. I have the Dash out of the 92 .... :flame:
Here's where I'm losing hair. I don't have the wiring harness from the 98, and if I did I wouldn;t want to replace the whole harness; just the dash side of the harness. Is that even possible? Has anyone swapped and entire dash + heater core from from a 97+ into a 92 or so model?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :wierd:

whitehead said:
I put the 98 transfer case in with no problems except the speedometer. I know what needs done for that.

You would need the speed sensor, sensor drive housing, and drive gear from an older XJ 91-?

MJR said:
You would need the speed sensor, sensor drive housing, and drive gear from an older XJ 91-?

I've got the speed sensor and housing from another 92. The problem I have with the 98 Tcase is my 92's plug will not plug into it. I haven't put this 92 sensor in yet, (been hung up on the dash) but I am guessing it will all work out just fine.

Back