• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's oil skid hardware

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought Rusty's oil pan skid in the classifieds and the seller stated that it doesn't have hardware (nuts/bolts). Does anyone know what hardware is included with the skid like the size of bolts and how many? Rusty has installation instructions on his site but i can't access them on this computer for some reason. I did before though...

Also, do you think this will still bolt on with a 5/8" t-case drop? It's a very minor drop and i don't see how it won't work.

Last edited:
Rusty's Offroad said:
4 3/8” x 1.25” Bolts
4 3/8” Flat Washers
4 3/8” Nylock Nuts​

1) Properly block and secure vehicle prior to installation.​

2) First you will need to locate the rear bolt of the lower control arm, this bolt will need to positioned so that the nut is on the inside of the frame.​

3) Place the hook shaped mounting support over the top of the front driveshaft, install it to the rear lower control bolt. Torque this bolt and nut to 130-ft.lbs.​

4) Place the skid up into position, using a floor jack makes this part of the job much easier, install the skid plate to the hooked mounting support using the bolts supplied.​

5) With skid plate up into position, mark and center punch the two rear holes. Drill with a small bit as a starter then drill a 3/8 hole in the crossmember. Install the two 3/8” bolts supplied and torque to 30-ft.lbs. Torque the front two 3/8” to 30-ft.lbs.​

6) Drill the three-side frame mounting holes with a small starter hole, these mounting bolts are self-starters and should be snug to the frame but do not over tighten.​

7) With the skid & crossmember in place check the clearance between crossmember and exhaust down pipe. If touching, loosen the exhaust manifold down pipe nuts and adjust for proper clearance.​

Now, take the cash you saved from using NAXJA to find a bargin, and put it toward a membership!​

You shouldn't have any trouble making it work with a Tcase drop. I don't have any first hand experience with this skid but I don't see how it'd be too hard.

:thumbup:

Hale​

Haleyes said:

Now, take the cash you saved from using NAXJA to find a bargin, and put it toward a membership!​

You shouldn't have any trouble making it work with a Tcase drop. I don't have any first hand experience with this skid but I don't see how it'd be too hard.

:thumbup:

Hale​

Thank you very much. Is the page PDF? I have adobe installed but still cannot read it. It don't really matter now cuz you already posted it so thanks!

I'll be getting hte membership very shortly. I'm in the process of moving so all my cash is going towards that but once i settle down in the new cave i'll buy one.

Can i buy that Fram oil drain tube, that rusty's offers, from a local autparts store? It looks like i will need it with this skid plate.

I think autozone sells them....or at least they used to, but they don't work well. I used to have one and it would take more than 10 minutes to drain the oil.

Jess said:
I think autozone sells them....or at least they used to, but they don't work well. I used to have one and it would take more than 10 minutes to drain the oil.

Yeah but will probably be the same amount of time as taking off the skid and then draining. Plus less of a mess on the skidplate. I could use that 10 minutes to browse this forum some more :)

I had the Fram drain tube... do not throw away you stock drain plug. your going to want it after your 2nd or 3rd oil change... sllllooooooooooowwww. I didn't like it after the first change, wanted to put stock plug after second, tracked it down after the 3rd and tossed drain tube away after 4th. caused me more headache, not just the time wasted, but I realized after putting stock plug back that some sludge never makes it out since the drain tube adds 1/4" from bottom of pan since drainage bolt it screws into stays in.

keep your receipt if you get it so you can return it after you tire of it.

I guess i'll just make another oil drip slide out of foil like i did with the tj. when i took the filter off the 2.5 (tj) the oil would flow down the engine block, starter, and exhaust so i made a running pan out of foil. :)

making drain pans out of foil is my advance fabrication skill :looser:

Back