• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stolen jeep found..kinda messed up though

BigJPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, THE COPS FOUND MY JEEP and arrested the guy that stole it. Heres my question for you guys.
When the guy stole it the transmission cross brace was removed (i was mid repair) so when he drove it the tranny was pretty much just dangling from the back of the engine right? The thing doesnt run too great now...how bad and what could be messed up.
Haven't driven it enough to have any more details, kinda depresses me to drive it at the moment

Damn if the transmission was held up via bellhousing bolts he could done a lot of damage. Rear main is probably tworn up and leaking, could have tworn up main bearings or the crankshaft itself, lots of stuff what do you mean by doesnt run to great, dies, or what?

it runs rough but not in the fuel/air mix way. It feels like something is out of alignment like friction rough. and there is oil leaking....aaahhhhhhh

call the insurance company...you're gonna need some money to fix that motor/tranny. maybe give a lawyer a call and see what kinda funds you can get from the theif if any. its gonna be pretty much a rebuild anyways, so stroke it while you're at it.

would it be cheaper to just buy a new xj and swap everything over, pretty much could the repair cost me more than 5000-6000, or even within a 1000 dollars of that

hell, if the insurance company's giving you that much, I'd buy another jeep in the process! I could see it costing about 1200 for a new tranny, and maybe 2000 for a stroker that you splurged on.

If you're doing all the work yourself that is....

oh, no i get nothing from the insurance im only covered for liability. I just figured i can get ~5000 for my xj and just buy a new one with that.

liability and collision are in case of an accident. I would read your policy carefully before you just sell it. Also I would get a lawyer like the other person said and go after the thief, his family, dog, cat, long lost uncle...

Matt

Also check your homeowners insurance. Read the policy, don't believe the schuck on the phone. If it was parked on your property, especially in the garage, it may be covered.

Bob Myers said:
Homeowners policy doesn't cover a licensable vehicle. Loose contents in it are but not the vehicle

Depends on your policy, which is why I said to check your policy. It may be covered under vandalism. Certainly can't hurt to check since he said he auto insurance didn't cover it, no?

Dude, that sucks. Sounds like a bunch of damage and who knows what the jerka$$ could have done to it. I have a friend who had a car stolen out of his driveway. They found it a mile away stuck on a landscaping rock infront of a Dr.'s office with a blown clutch. It was some drunk kid who stole it. Despite finding his puke, cell phone, house keys, and a shoe in it, the police said there wasn't any proof he was driving it. Gotta like what lawyers have done to our justice system. I say sue the prick if you can, but if the POS is in jail you'll prolly never see anything...

Back