• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacks and Lifts

GRWHITE

NAXJA Forum User
How high a lift can I go and still use the stock jack that came with my 1999XJ. Thank you in advance for helping me make a decision on which lift to install. ie; 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", etc.

Lift size doesn't matter. Tire size will. I'm using the stock jack at 6" & 33's, I just have to have some wood blocks to do it. JIM.

I'm lifted 6.5" and run 35" tires. I still use the stock jack and it has *plenty* of room for me to go bigger.

Get this from Sears. $19 and lifts almost 17". Or harbor freight might even be cheaper

Last edited:
There are a couple reasons to lift and alot of reasons not to, but Ive never considered the jack as being the limiting factor before.
Anyway, the first answer is correct and when you consider that even a 33" tire only places your axle 2" or 3" further off the ground than the stock tires, the factory jack really isnt limiting at all.

GRWHITE said:
How high a lift can I go and still use the stock jack that came with my 1999XJ. Thank you in advance for helping me make a decision on which lift to install. ie; 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", etc.

stock jack goes under the axle. suspension lift goes above the axle. as stated, tire size will affect height of axle on an xj.

i have never heard of anybody decide of lift height because of the stock jack limites.

I have a motorhome that will be towing my Cherokee when I retire soon. When I bought it I had 5000# tow limit then I get a letter from the Mfg that states due to testing the safe tow weight is 3500# with supplemental brakes. That leaves me with roughly 450# for lifting, wheels, tires, roof rack, jacking gear, mining gear, camping equipment, etc., etc., etc. That doesn't leave me with much room to spare. The reason I asked about the jack and lift is because my old Wrangler had about a 70# three foot long jack and I don't want to take that much weight on one item if I can help it. Most of you answered my question and I thank you for your help.

the solution seems obvious to me......mount the jack on the motorhome and then put it in the jeep when it is not being towed.

The motorhome is maxed out. I will be able to work this out now that I know I don't need a bigger jack than the stock one because that is included in the curb weight. I still have 450# to go and that should be fine depending on the total weight of the other goodies and takeoffs I will be doing like removing the rear seat. It is tight but doable. Thanks again to you and the others that have helped me. This is my first Cherokee but not my first Jeep and I like this better than the others so far (never thought I would say that).

Have you weighed your cherokee? I think you might be underestimating it's weight.

Do you have a jack in the motorhome that could do double duty for the Jeep??

NO, I have not weighed it out. I have been going by the specs in my owners manual but your right I hate quessing so I plan to do that soon. I don't have power windows or seats and using a 1/2 tank of gas is how I came up with the 450#'s. I really need to weigh it but unable to find a weigh station in Long Beach or surrounding area on the internet or phone book. Any ideas where I can get it weighed ?

A truck stop

GRWHITE said:
I have a motorhome that will be towing my Cherokee when I retire soon. When I bought it I had 5000# tow limit then I get a letter from the Mfg that states due to testing the safe tow weight is 3500# with supplemental brakes. That leaves me with roughly 450# for lifting, wheels, tires, roof rack, jacking gear, mining gear, camping equipment, etc., etc., etc. That doesn't leave me with much room to spare. The reason I asked about the jack and lift is because my old Wrangler had about a 70# three foot long jack and I don't want to take that much weight on one item if I can help it. Most of you answered my question and I thank you for your help.

That is tongue weight, not flat towing weight.. My rig has a 10thou tongue weight.. The supplemental brakes is the law in most states.. I have them in my dingy...

Back