• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfercase Bearing question

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 cherokee. NP242.

My transfercase has been making a sound when in 4x4 that made me think the front output bearing was toast. There was a little play when I shook the driveshaft up and down also. The weird thing is the front shaft always spins and it only made the noise in 4x4 under a load.

I tore into the transfer case tonight and the bearings for the front look/sound fine. The (ATF) fluid looked fine. The chain looks good. The bearings turn smoothly. Then I realized that the front output bearing spins, the whole thing.

Could it not be pressed in all the way? Wrong sized bearing? Did it wear down the case where it sits?

you may be in need of a case , pull it apart and fit a new bearing see if there is any play, thee are ways to repair it if it isnt to bad

Yah it shouldn't spin in it's mounting. Not sure how bad it is but Locktite does make something for pressed in bearings, not sure if it will help. While it's not a drop in bearing it also doesn't require a press either. You can just tap them in/out with a hammer.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I used the sleeves from a balljoint and a hammer to press them in/out last time.

What other ways might I go about fixing it if the new bearing spins too?

Jeep914x4 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I used the sleeves from a balljoint and a hammer to press them in/out last time.

What other ways might I go about fixing it if the new bearing spins too?

Kinda cheesy but you might dent up the surface with a punch so it fits snug.

Back