• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got back from Big Bear

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Went up to spend the weekend in Big Bear. Rented a small cabin and got up there Friday afternoon.

It rained all Friday night and most of the day Saturday. Was going to run Gold Mountain, but it was a freezing rain and it was very windy. We just stayed in and watched DVDs by the fireplace.

Finally, this is what we woke up to this morning (Sunday).

IMG_1291.jpg

The roads were covered with snow and were very icy in spots. It was amusing to see cars stuck everywhere in town.

And on the way down the mountain, we saw that the CHP was requiring chains. It was amazing to see all the people driving up there without chains and having to turn around.

Totally different from last weekend's run and I guess it'll be nice and sunny next weekend too.

Cool! Glad you made it home OK.

If I get the doctor's OK and get my Jeep back together, I am going to try to get up there next weekend to play around.

Talk to you later!

JohnX said:
And you didn't invite me, I was looking for someone to do a night run with last night.

Whew John, I thought you were jealous of the "sitting by the fireplace watching DVD's"....:laugh2:

JJ gave me a great rate on the cabin.

I started to go up Polique Canyon Road to find a place for the dog to play. The snow was coming down pretty good and there was about a foot of snow on the ground. There might be some leftover next weekend.

Pick a leak, any leak. I've got them all.

xjohnnyc said:
........Was going to run Gold Mountain, but it was a freezing rain and it was very windy.........
You didn't get enough bobsledding last time? :D ------------Hans

xjohnnyc said:
Went up to spend the weekend in Big Bear. Rented a small cabin and got up there Friday afternoon.

It rained all Friday night and most of the day Saturday. Was going to run Gold Mountain, but it was a freezing rain and it was very windy. We just stayed in and watched DVDs by the fireplace.

Finally, this is what we woke up to this morning (Sunday).

IMG_1291.jpg

The roads were covered with snow and were very icy in spots. It was amusing to see cars stuck everywhere in town.

And on the way down the mountain, we saw that the CHP was requiring chains. It was amazing to see all the people driving up there without chains and having to turn around.

Totally different from last weekend's run and I guess it'll be nice and sunny next weekend too.

I hope you had the hatch closed overnight ? Doh......

Gorgeous! I'm T-minus a few hours until my departure to snow country. :)

Nice! Instead of watching movies, I would have went out scouting for ppl who were stuck. :)

John-I saw in another post that you were heading up there this past weekend. When I saw the wheather report, I wondered how it was going to be up there.

Nice to be there and catch some decent snow fall in the local mountains.

My wife and I caught it by surprise one weekend (jeeze about 20 years ago) We headed up on a Thursday morning on a whim. A storm followed us up and dropped over 2' of snow that night, and continued off and on through the weekend, securing our cabin accomodation for the weekend as the roads were closed up and down. I am still amazed when I look back at those pics, I have never seen the local mountains like that since.

The wife and I are heading up Friday morning to spend a few days up at the cabin. The weather forcast is for no snow between now and then, good thing because I will NEVER own snow chains!!

:D

Rick

djblade311 said:
Nice! Instead of watching movies, I would have went out scouting for ppl who were stuck. :)

Im sure you could make a few bucks if charged for your recovery services.... last time i was up there, people were sliding off the road & getting stuck everywhere!

88trailcrawler said:
John-I saw in another post that you were heading up there this past weekend. When I saw the wheather report, I wondered how it was going to be up there.

Nice to be there and catch some decent snow fall in the local mountains.

My wife and I caught it by surprise one weekend (jeeze about 20 years ago) We headed up on a Thursday morning on a whim. A storm followed us up and dropped over 2' of snow that night, and continued off and on through the weekend, securing our cabin accomodation for the weekend as the roads were closed up and down. I am still amazed when I look back at those pics, I have never seen the local mountains like that since.

Yeah, it was pretty cool to wake up to a snowfall. It was absolutely miserable on Saturday though. Rain and wind. We couldn't believe that it wouldn't start snowing.

To top it off, the power went out Friday night. So we had no heat and no dry wood. We slept in front of the fireplace with a Duraflame log. :)

Sunday morning, we drove along the north side of the lake through Fawnskin. The road was totally unrecognizable. It was all snow. You couldn't see any asphalt.

Sounds pretty cool if you ask me. Glad you made it down safely.

xjohnnyc said:
Sunday morning, we drove along the north side of the lake through Fawnskin. The road was totally unrecognizable. It was all snow. You couldn't see any asphalt.

Sounds cool John,

This morning I could see the mountains were covered, all white as far down as I could see em.

I'll have to dig out those pics from way back, I remember wakeing up and the cars were covered to the point they were just large white mounds that smoothly transitioned into the ground.

Back