• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UHH, odd skip, out of ideas!

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So i bought my jeep like 2 months ago, and i drove it home with no problems. So to get to the point i pulled into my garage shut it off for the night, when i woke up to start it no spark. So i did a full tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and fixed a few leaking vacuum lines. So still no spark no big deal, back probed the crank and cam sensor and the cam was good, the crank was bad. Replaced it viola, it ran but now between 1800 and 2300 rpm it was a full engine missfire, very annoying especially trying to take off with a 5 speed. So i replaced the cam sensor cause when i put it on the o-scope it was starting to die. This fixed it a little it now only does it between 2000 and 2300 rpm. So i tested the tps well, it is off. At closed throttle it reads .671 volts which is almost 3/4 throttle according to the computer. But it is consistent at WOT it reads 3.681 volts so almost the same exact difference. And unplugging it didnt fix it. Is this the culprit? it does seem that my skip does follow the depression of my gas pedal more than to the rpms of the engine. But my tech buddy is now in a different state and i dont have my test equipment. Anyone have any bright ideas? Its not the O2 sensor or the IAS so im hoping its the TPS, i need motor mounts too but im not tackling it till the skip is fixed.

Reset the TPS. Any cheap multimeter will be all that you need for test equipment.

OK reset the computer, and used a scan tool as well. So the rotor that was on it was bent up at a 45 degree angle and it ate through the plastic on the cap and wasnt actually firing straight to the metal it traveled through the plastic to get there. Now the wires ok every boot was rotted and there was more rust on the terminals than the titanic. The plugs were worse, 2 were bridged with crud so we didnt know how it was running honestly. Not to mention it was a 1994 and it was all stock everything with 200,000 miles! Fuel filter was the same so rotted i broke the ends off disconnecting the hoses. New plugs are denso platinum 2's so its not cause they arn't gapped right.

Then reinspect the plugs visually to look for debris damage. Might I suggest getting a can of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner and running it through the engine if the plugs were that bad.

scottmcneal said:
Try stock plugs, worked in mine

To be honest plain Champion copper plugs or NGK V-power plugs are the only way to go. The 4.0L engines don't like cheap (Autolite) or fancy (Platinum) plugs.

Pulled the plugs today actually and they were clean really clean umm perfect for burn color(if there is such a thing)It wasnt black(rich) and not white(lean) a nice tanish color. Anyone get this skip though?

I don't know my way around a chrysler distributor, but I would look into the ignition pickup. Just a idea, more than likely not the issue, I thought it sounded like a TPS.

Back