• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Bar Setup?

CSSuperduty

NAXJA Forum User
Happy New Year! Has anyone hooked a tow bar to the clevis hook's up front. I don't think their is a bracket out there. Has someone made one or seen one or even a pic. would really help... Any idea's

I used one for a while but not like you're describing. Mine bolted to the front bumper, then had safety chains, and mag lights. Is that what ur asking?

I plan on doing this. I will fab the brackets myself. I've pull two XJ's home by bolting my adjustable tow bar to the OEM front bumper and they pull with no problem.

I have a stock bumper right now, but i am buying a new bumper this week just don't know which one???? When i do i want to use a reg. tow bar to hook to the clevis mount's. i trailer it now, but i just bought a brand new house and don't have the room for the trailer, (8ft on one side 7ft on other). So thats the reason for the tow bar. The trailer is @ my parents, but that 20 mins away.

CSSuperduty said:
I have a stock bumper right now, but i am buying a new bumper this week just don't know which one???? When i do i want to use a reg. tow bar to hook to the clevis mount's. i trailer it now, but i just bought a brand new house and don't have the room for the trailer, (8ft on one side 7ft on other). So thats the reason for the tow bar. The trailer is @ my parents, but that 20 mins away.

Tractor Supply and a few others sell a Tow bar Kit that includes a tab. Drill and bolt the tabs to the bumper. The tabs have a U - shape that the bar goes into, and fastens with a quick release pin. I thought about attaching it to the Clevis mounts on mine but, it would require fabrication on all of the towbars I saw. Not worth the effort / risk.

The best tow bars Ive ever seen/built use that style of mounting.Just make sure your bumper/mounts are worthy of it!

I've been pulled out a few times by mine... Hate the Pink ARB took up the mounting points

Well i think i will make some U shaped brackets with quick pins form a tractor place. The fab. work is nothing i was just wondering if some has done it before me. I will built some and take pic's. It will be my first write up! :D

I'll buy a pair of those brackets if you make em to fit a standard tow bar.

I got a JCR front and the only way I see to bolt on the standard tow bar brackets would require access holes to be drilled in the backside. Plus I think it is silly to bolt a set of brackets on right next to the big recover tabs that are more then adequate.

Lets see the pics when you get it done.

CSSuperduty said:
Well i think i will make some U shaped brackets with quick pins form a tractor place. The fab. work is nothing i was just wondering if some has done it before me. I will built some and take pic's. It will be my first write up! :D

If you are trying to fab something to adapt the standard tow bar to the clevis tabs, it would be an H shaped bracket. One end to fit the tow bar and quick pin, the other to wrap both sides of the clevis tab so that pin isn't put into sheer. Additionally, one end of the adapter bracket will require a design that stops movement so it doesn't override itself during braking.

The U shaped brackets, grade 8 hardware, and heavy stock to sandwich the bumper (ensuring the bolts can't pull through) all come with the kit. The "U" is bent from some real heavy stock - it's NOT just tabs welded on. If you are buying the towbar, it's all there. Path of least resistance. The Clevis tabs are a good place to place to attach the safety chains.

Back