• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ sport gas smell

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 4.0 xj sport. Every time I turn a sharp corner or something I'm always smelling gas. When I've got out of the car where you put gas at its on the side of the car. My check engine light is on, the car doesn't have a stock gas cap, it has a locking gas cap. I think we got the wrong one, we've had it for a long time now. Is this the problem, do I need to get a knew cap?

Sounds like an evaporative emissions leak. Either the gas cap or a hose somewhere. The engine controller check for this by pressurizing the fuel tank (probably when you smell the fuel) and since it's not sealed it turns on the CEL and stores a code. If it's a hose the ones most likely to crack or come loose are just ahead of the fuel tank at the carbon cannister under the vehicle.

If it is leaking out where the gas cap is, the first thing I would do is buy a new gas cap and be sure it is the correct one. Faulty gas caps can trigger check engine lights. You could always go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto and have them run the code reader.

xjh3 said:
If it is leaking out where the gas cap is, the first thing I would do is buy a new gas cap and be sure it is the correct one. Faulty gas caps can trigger check engine lights. You could always go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto and have them run the code reader.

Excactly if if didn't do it before the locking gas cap then use the old one.

Mine leaked on the tank, where the pump & return pressure tube go into the pump housing. I used liquid steel sealent and have not a problem. Mine stunk like gas everytime I filled up. Because gas was higher than the tube level.

My '98 cracked where the filler neck and the gas tank join together. Fortunately, it was repaired under warranty at the time.

I'd check the gas cap first as suggested, then check out the fuel tank next....

Ivan

Back