• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft BB Balance Trouble Shoot.

GreenGoblin

NAXJA Forum User
I bought 5,000 .20g airsoft bb's to be equally distributed throughout 5 tires, this works out to be about 7oz per tire. I get a very bad vibration at 50mph but is absolutly smooth up to 50. Im wondering if I should take out some or add more. Or, take them all out and try using .12g BB's. The tires are 31x10.5 on a steel rim. Let me know your thoughts

It said for 6-8oz for my 33's... I know for a fact that the tires themselves were balanced to within 7oz from the factory so I just threw 10 in just in case... More never hurts anything, it can only help.

And I'm using the Grey 20gr ones as well

ZacSquatch, I believe you're talking about Kudzu-vine...it runs rampant in PA.

as for the BBs, yeah, just add some more - what kind of tires are they?

JNickel101 said:
ZacSquatch, I believe you're talking about Kudzu-vine...it runs rampant in PA.

And a lot of it south of ya...

since you are on the topic of airsoft bb's in 31's i will ask this; i had gotten new rims for Christmas and dad was at the tire shop getting them mounted. he asked them about airsoft bb's if that would be easier to balance them, they said yes it would but not with my tires and rims. he said something about the tire manufacturers not recommending airsoft bb's, or the like (those beads that are made for balancing i cant thing of the name of them) with tires that are 31's on 15" rims. i didnt understand it. has anyone else ever heard this??

btw its my dd so they just balanced them with clip on weights and only had to use a few ounces.

I must be new to the subject, but what does BB's in tires exactly do for you?

--Alex

the tires are the pep boys 31" mud tire about 40% worn. the rims are AR with 4" backspacing. I want to rotate my wheels and see if that helps (maybee the one in the front is of center). If that does not help I will at 1 more oz to each tire.

ManBearPig said:
Can anupone explain how? Ive been mounting and balacing tires for 4 years, as big as 37x22, and I never heard of this.

I am curious too, is $10 worth of BBs work better than a $15 balance job at America's Tire?

Mr. Pickle said:
I am curious too, is $10 worth of BBs work better than a $15 balance job at America's Tire?

Idk about you... but I've never thrown bb's out on the road... less hastle than wheel weights

I'm running 6 oz in my 31's but I do have minor vibs. I think the tires have issues though. I've used the beads on a few sets of tires now and it works.

Speaking of kudzu, we have lost entire towns to that stuff here in SW VA!

Do the BBs go inside of the tires? If so do they move around in there? In my 4 yrs of tire service experience ive found that objects moving around inside of tires cause vibes wether it be as small valve stem or simply slime.

the idea is that the bb's won't really do anything at low speeds. However once you start spinning the tires at higher speeds, the bb's will congregate in the areas of less mass in the tire due to centripetal force. This effectively balances out the tire. Logic follows that more, smaller bb's would be more effective than fewer, larger ones.

I've heard of some people using golf balls, but they would probably be too big to work effectively. Also, people have put water inside their tires on trail-only rigs to add more unsprung weight to lower the COG. not too big of a deal to have stuff inside the tires.

kenny

I run magnum balance beads in my 33 mtr's and i swear by them I had t2 different shops balance them and they were evil on the highway. A friend of mine told me about these and put them in and its been great

Just don't try fix-a-flat or anything of the sort with the BB's in there... A buddy of mine forgot and had a big clob of BB's stuck on one side..

ManBearPig said:
Do the BBs go inside of the tires? If so do they move around in there? In my 4 yrs of tire service experience ive found that objects moving around inside of tires cause vibes wether it be as small valve stem or simply slime.

the concept is that as centrifical force increases through speed the bb's will seek the imperfections in the tire thus balancing the tire, the problem is at low speeds up to around 35ish there isnt enough force to hold the bb's in place, thus the low speed vibrations associated with this, I ran airsoft in my last set of tires, 12oz in my 35's IIRC, and it worked great at highway speeds, just didnt care for the vibes at lower speeds. With airsoft, or regular bb's you have to break the bead to get them in, with Dynabeads, they are small enough to go through the valve stem, and require a special core after install.

I have had mixed results with the BBs in my LTBs. One of them is so out of round, I am thinking of removing the BBs and having it "normally" balanced. The others have vibes, but when I did it I spun them on the balancer and put in whatever weight it said in BBs. One of these days I'll dismount them and put in a full 8oz and then see what happens.

Back