• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying an XJ, need advice, info

dkc1657

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I've just sold my 4Runner and one Landcruiser and am looking to get my very first Jeep XJ. My circumstances has changed with the arrival of my son and I need a family vehicle for light wheelin', camping, road trips etc...

I've been into Toyotas for a very long time and basically know squat about Jeeps. I'm also a licensed mechanic but have spent my career at a GM dealership. So again, I know nothing about jeeps...

I'm looking for a Cherokee XJ ... '84 to '91. Basically looking for bare bones ... power nothing except power brakes and steering, no AC. Preferably auto so my wife can drive it too. Can anyone offer advice on what models / years / parts are desirable? What parts / transmissions / transfer cases to stay away from?

I've heard the engines 4.0L I6 are pretty bulletproof, and so are the NP242 cases. How good are the auto trannies?

Thanks in advance for your input!

if you get a 4.0 with an auto you will get the aw4 tranny. it is mostly the same trans that is in the second and third gen 4runners, made by aisin (a340 i think). their is a thread just started about how many miles do you have on your aw4. link:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93750
you will be impressed at how long they last. they seem to last longer than any foreign or domestic transmission with little care. the industry standard for trans life is between 120k an 150k if you baby them. the aw4 is capable of 300k-400k if some high school kid has'nt driven it. the most problems with the aw4 are in the nss or the solenoid packs.

Also try to keep away from ABS in those model years, that was the first system Jeep used and are not the most reliable.

And those model years have GM parts on them.

The ones with the Renix fuel injection are easy to repair and simple design.

You should be able to pick up a great running XJ ( '84 to '91) for under $2000 easily.
$2000 should be for one that has no dents, no repairs, and excelent interior.

Thanks for the great tips,

I was just doing some searching (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381143&highlight=TOTM, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498018) and people say that the frames of the first generation XJ are unibody and are known to crack? Although this is a hardcore 4x4 site and I'm assuming they mean the frames are succeptable to crack under extreme use only. So all XJ frames are unibody??

Also how can I tell if it has the Renix fuel injection system?

the years for renix are '87 - '90.
I would not worry about the unibodies, they are very reliable and stiff.

Just a quick FYI, I picked up my 87' XJ for $300. It has a lot of cosmetic damage, (no damage to the frame), no rust, and a rear main seal leak (popular in XJ's). It runs very solid with 170k on the clock, first place I checked was craigslist.

Back