• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4: from 21 to 23 spline - what is involved?

Just an opinion but the input for the transfer would likely be much easier to change. 21 spline or 23 spline the tranny output to transfer input has rarely given any trouble that I'm familiar with.

x2

change the t-case input, not the tranny output.

ran 36s w/ a heavy foot on a 21 spline output. made a trasnfer case explode but never so much as slightly deformed the output splines on the tranny

BlueGerbil said:
What would be necessary to change the AW4 in my 1990 XJ from 21 spline to a 23 spline output shaft? Do I have to buy new parts? If so, are there any differences in the model years?

TIA!

Replacing the transmission would be required unless you can overhaul one. Used or rebuilt.

8Mud said:
Just an opinion but the input for the transfer would likely be much easier to change. 21 spline or 23 spline the tranny output to transfer input has rarely given any trouble that I'm familiar with.

Yes, just don't mix 87-94 with 95-01.

Back