• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeeps not starting...im new

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so My names Victor and i'm new to these forums, i got my self an 89 XJ with a 95 HO motor in it. We used the old torque converter off the 89 Motor to match up with the tranny and the flywheel so it actually starts up. Heres my issue, sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I get the disctinct smell of gas but somehow i dont seem to manage to get the thing started. The starter cranks, so im guessing it can only be one thing, The Crankshaft position sensor? Am i correct?
Its got a new battery in it. :shhh:

Did you check your CPS? I had that issue before my CPS was melted, below the exhaust manifold.

Its not that hard to change out. There are 2 screws behind the tranny housing. would need some air tools cause of the tight squezz!

Frankie

victor_s said:
Alright so My names Victor and i'm new to these forums, i got my self an 89 XJ with a 95 HO motor in it. We used the old torque converter off the 89 Motor to match up with the tranny and the flywheel so it actually starts up. Heres my issue, sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I get the disctinct smell of gas but somehow i dont seem to manage to get the thing started. The starter cranks, so im guessing it can only be one thing, The Crankshaft position sensor? Am i correct?
Its got a new battery in it. :shhh:

Did you use the flex plate (or the torque converter adapter or whatever they call it) for the 95 0r the Renix?

Did you use the distributor out of the 88? what did you do about the TPS? The engine temp. sender and the MAT and the IAC?

Did you put the short or long lock in it? Did you put the HO intake on it? Did you install the HO wiring/computer in it?

Nop we used the originial wiring and computer, we used the old intake as well since we did not want to fuss with all the sensors.
We used the torque converter off of the 89 so it mates up to the tranny.
We used the old distributor and the old tps.

victor_s said:
Nop we used the originial wiring and computer, we used the old intake as well since we did not want to fuss with all the sensors.
We used the torque converter off of the 89 so it mates up to the tranny.
We used the old distributor and the old tps.

Did you realign the intake? I thought there was a difference between the HO and Renix intakes. Search maybe the strokers group on Yahoo I think.

You can unplug the CPS and put a multimeter on it (low voltage AC setting) then have someone crank it over while you watch. The voltage should be .5-.8V AC when cranking. If it's too low the sensor may be bad or not close enough to the flex plate.

Alright i got another little question, would i need the crank senor off the 89 or thr 95. I have the 95 motor matted to the 89 tranny.

Being that you didn't swap out the computer and wiring from the 95 you then need the 89 crank sensor and flex plate.

Alright so the flex plate is already in there, Just need a new crank sensor because its acting all weird on me and dying randomly. Tryed pushing it in some, now it does a lil more then crank, feels like its about to turn over but doesn't. Gonna see if a new sensor fixes it tomorrow.

Back