• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Geocaching?

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to get into this, as it looks like fun! How do I get started? Does anyone on the board do this? Any pointers would be appreciated! :)

Buy a decent GPS and head to geocaching.com you can find all sorts of stuff there, groups, stories on the caches, locations, and puzzles on how to find certain ones. I started to look into it but never got involved. You would be surprised to find out how many there are in locations you wouldn't expect. Have fun.

Josh

Me and my girlfriend used to do this a LOT. We'll start again this summer probably. All ya need is a GPS and get on that site, they have thousands of local locations, remote locations, every place you could think of and hundreds you wouldn't. It's a ton of fun!

They are usually found in ammo boxes. You take something, you leave something, and mark the time down in a notebook usually found within. I thought it sounded odd at first, but once you do a few it's kind of addicting!

Over 1000 finds in the north, south, east and west hemispheres. I would say a majority of the finds are off-road here in California

Whadya wanna know?

You can make it as imple or complicated as you want to. There's even a guy out there that has hundreds of find without a GPS.

At a minimun you need a Gps and a sense of adventure.

xL8 APEKSx said:
I wanted to get into this, as it looks like fun! How do I get started? Does anyone on the board do this? Any pointers would be appreciated! :)

Hit up Karstic.... I believe he's involved in a group of wheelers/cachers...
If I could figure out how to work mine I'd like to try it for a treasure hunting aspect for the kidlets... I just keep finding them on my own out running around...
Curt

karstic said:
Over 1000 finds in the north, south, east and west hemispheres. I would say a majority of the finds are off-road here in California
Only 1000 finds? What have you been doing? I have deleted a few hundred finds and I am still over 5000 :twak:

Check out www.socal4x4geocachers.org for more info on combining geocaching and wheelin.

FishPOET said:
Only 1000 finds? What have you been doing? I have deleted a few hundred finds and I am still over 5000 :twak:

Check out www.socal4x4geocachers.org for more info on combining geocaching and wheelin.

I've got a life.

Back