• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield sprayer mod?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I do alot of muddy trails in my area.The stock washer isn't really up to the task of keeping the windshield mud free and the resevoir doesn't seem to hold enough fluid for continued use.
My idea is to mount a couple more nozels above the windshield that spray down in conjunction with the stockers that spray up....and maybe mount an auxilliary tank in the back somewhere.Anyone done something similar or have any brainstorms?
Think pressure washer!!!
Also thinking of having the top sprayers wired up to a toggle so I can flip them on before dropping down into a mud hole so they will spray constantly untill I flip the toggle to turn them off.....they would run independently of the wipers because it seems sometimes the wipers just smear the mud and make things worse.Any input?

Last edited:
thats cool...I have one of those pesticide sprayers that I bought from the hardware store that I use for a portable power washer to get my windows/mirrors clean before I hit the highway.

I think it would be cool to wire the washer pumps to a toggle switch so you wouldn't have to hold the washer button all the time.Just turn the wipers on high and hit the goo!!!

that sprayer idea could come in handy. I had to remover my washer resivior when i installed the snorkle and mud has been killing me on the trails.

My first post!!:wave1:

Two words..... Spray bars.

I made these for my Toyota years ago but never finished them... Thinking of finishing them for my XJ......

3/16 diameter SS tubing welded closed on one end, a series of holes drilled down the length, welded or silver soldered to a mount.

Affix them to the top of the wiper arm with the holes facing the windshield running parrallel to the wiper and the open end of the SS tubes down.

Scab a piece of tubing to the original squirters (leave an inch or 2 extra on the length to allow for flex)

I realize this is not a solution for your reservoir size, but I can tell you that spray bars work..... They came stock on my Sierra and work really well.

Add a couple of sprayers that clip onto your wiper arm. Use a second pump for them and they should work great.

While you're about it, lay two or three coats of a good paste wax on your windscreen (and rear window, if you're so inclined.) It will help keep mud from sticking, and help shed water (and make ice easier to release.) Turtle Wax will do, but you can get better as well (Meguiar's usually works a bit better...)

If you have the renix style washer bottle that sits over on the drivers side fender, then you have a few options. The early H.O. washer bottles are over on the passenger side cowl. The 97+ are hidden behind the drivers side fender. You could find a way to add an OEM bottle fairly easily.

Or if you need massive amounts of clean water you could get a 5 gallon bucket with 2 old washer pump submerged in the bucket and have one pump for each nozzle. It would take awhile for that bucket to empty so you'd really have long term spray.:gee:

good info!!!
I'll be working on this over the weekend so I'll be sure to post a writeup here on it when I'm done.
thanks for the food for thought...anyone know what vehicles have really powerful oem sprayer motors/nozels that I can pirate at the junk yard??
also thinking of adding side sprayers for the door windows.....would be cool to have wipers on the windows too!!!

Last edited:
Side windows would be interesting since they go up/down...might take that into consideration if and when you try to mount them. They might jack up the wiper getting stuck while rolling up the window? I dunno... Just a thought.

5-90 said:
While you're about it, lay two or three coats of a good paste wax on your windscreen (and rear window, if you're so inclined.) It will help keep mud from sticking, and help shed water (and make ice easier to release.) Turtle Wax will do, but you can get better as well (Meguiar's usually works a bit better...)

http://www.liquidglass.com/lgpolish.htm
This stuff is awesome!!! It's a wax/polish for paint but I use it on all the windows too. Works way better than RainX, last longer also.

Last edited:
outlander said:
anyone know what vehicles have really powerful oem sprayer motors/nozels that I can pirate at the junk yard??

just get an old fuel pump at the junkyard....should make it have plenty of pressure

about the side wipers,that was more of a joke....
I like the fuel pump idea!!I wonder if I can plumb the fuel pump into my stock sprayers......I'd have to replace the stock hose with fuel injection line so it would withstand the 40 or so psi though.....

ive heard of people using their custom bumpers to hold air and water. just throwing that out there. i like the idea of the newer fender well reservoir on the older model. ill have to look into that.
i did see this ranger once put seram wrap around his mirrors and he said that he just takes it off when hes leaving. not a spec of mud on them.

outlander said:
good info!!!
..anyone know what vehicles have really powerful oem sprayer motors/nozels that I can pirate at the junk yard??

Try looking at high-end Euro cars like Mercedes, Porsche, etc. They may have headlight washer nozzels/pumps, which are very high pressure.

Fran

RV parts they have tons of water pumps with all diff pressures. Containers with baffles so the water doesnt splash around and you get consistent feed. Also if you have on board air they have pressurized water tanks, then you wont need an additional pump.

Back