• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera Low 4to1

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
So my T-Case finally died after about 300,000 miles. Looking at getting a reman T-case (231) with HD chain Tera Low 4to1 and 2 wheel low. Looks like it will cost me about $1800.
For those that have 4to1, has it affected you in the snow, sand and hill climbs? I only make 1 trip a year to the beach and snow, but find myself doing hillclimbs fairly often out on the trails. I want to make sure I'm going to like the 4to1 before I fork out the grand for it.
I play mostly in the rocks.

Thanks,
Jeremy
87xj 4.0 AW4 231 33's & 4.88's

My brother has the 4:1 in his tj. Its okay but they dont recomend going very fast when in low range. I personally wouldnt spend that much on it but two each is own.

I checked on a NV241 out of a Rubicon and it was like $1900 new through the dealer. Seems to me $1800 a lot of cash to spend on a 231 that is rated for a whole lot less torque. However I think the output on the older AW4s is different somehow than the newer one but someone will need to chime in to verify that. I have a 99' so it wasnt an issue for me but it may be for you.

why not get a used 231 out of a wrecking yard. Should be less then $100. I seriously hope you don't pay $1800 on a 231. I'ts just a little more for an atlas or stak 2 speed.

New TeraLow - $1100

New HD Chain kit - $100

Junkyard T'case - $100-200

If you can get that setup with a SYE, it's not a bad idea. Otherwise, $1800 is a bit steep. If you just want a drop in case, that'll work just fine. If you want to do a bit of modification to your floor/console etc, save a couple hundred more for a Stak or Atlas.

IllianaXJ said:
New TeraLow - $1100

New HD Chain kit - $100

Junkyard T'case - $100-200

If you can get that setup with a SYE, it's not a bad idea. Otherwise, $1800 is a bit steep. If you just want a drop in case, that'll work just fine. If you want to do a bit of modification to your floor/console etc, save a couple hundred more for a Stak or Atlas.

$200 for 2 wheel low
$200 for SYE
and somebody else put it together and Warranty it!
It adds up fast!

jmop said:
why not get a used 231 out of a wrecking yard. Should be less then $100. I seriously hope you don't pay $1800 on a 231. I'ts just a little more for an atlas or stak 2 speed.
Only about $800 to a grand more... I would like the twin stick though... but would it be worth the extra dough...

No doubt I can get away with spending $500 to put the same thing I had in there, but I would like 2 low, and 4to1.
The 3 speed stak or 4 speed atlas would be Awesome... but a little more than my Chief Financial Officer (wife) will let me spend!

jrowell said:
Only about $800 to a grand more... I would like the twin stick though... but would it be worth the extra dough...

No doubt I can get away with spending $500 to put the same thing I had in there, but I would like 2 low, and 4to1.
The 3 speed stak or 4 speed atlas would be Awesome... but a little more than my Chief Financial Officer (wife) will let me spend!

good call im in the same boat!!!

Re: 4to1

elephantrider1 said:
I love my 4to1 it was the best thing ive put in my jeep i did the kit it was easy and only $900 wont go without one now

Do you have an aw4?
How does it does when you need a little speed?
Hillclimbs specifically... Snow and Sand.

My Jeep does not have enough juice to do some of the stuff in 4 wheel high.

yeah good dude. came off a little shady at first (still have looked inside the case to see if he did put all the "HD V8" stuff in there) but cut me a great deal and i wish i would have done the 4.1 and 2WDlow

i have a 5spd and whn i need some speed i shift to 3rd and floor it becarfulwhn u put it in tho its like dropping alot bigger motor in it i constantly am snaping front axles and front driveshafts the power is great

I love mine...

and I dont hesitate to put the pedal to the wood to get wheel spin where I need it...

just sift up if you dont have the wheelspin that you used to...
I went snow wheeling last monday and had many times in which I found the rev limiter in 3rd gear, flinging snow all over the place... and still get it in the rocks too...
p1010343aj6.jpg

nr04.jpg

nr30.jpg

seriously one of the best modifications ive made to my jeep...

When Opie says "I" he means "Scrappy". Just to clarify. I flog the ever living sh!t out of his junk for him. I have not broken it yet. When I do, I am sure that I will just make sure he has beer to work with. :D

I bought my 231 4:1 Tera low for $600 from a guy off of KSL. It has the 2 Low and SYE. He even gave me two driveshafts with it. I had a chance to use it for the first time last year and I love it.
For $1800 I'd buy an Atlas..For $600 I bought the tera low

Last edited:
Back