• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring perch width

chance_p

NAXJA Forum User
swapping in a new rear end next week but i have a question first. as it sits the rear end ill be putting in has spring perches spaced 1/4 inch further apart than stock. would it cause any problems keep it this way and just "push" out the leaf springs 1/8th inch either side? i dont have access to a welder at my house so by not having to cut off and weld on new perches just because of 1/4 inch sure would save me a lot of hassle. tia guys

I too am curious what vehicle the axle is coming from?

That said, i've seen XJ rear ends that fluctuate more than .250" width. Its fine to move the springs that .120.

chance_p said:
its a 44 out of a 90 grand wagoneer. i think someone might have moved the perches previously but i have no way to be 100% sure

nice! has it been sprung over?

Has anyone measured what the "default" distance is between spring perces on XJ axles? (...and is this measured from inside of spring perch to inside, outside to outside or centre to centre?) I'm also in the process of doing an axle swap and this info would be handy - I find it difficult to take accurate measurements on my exisiting D35 while still installed in the Jeep. I'm sure it would be easy enough once it's out, but I'd like to plan ahead to minimise the time my Jeep would out out of service.

gorman said:
Has anyone measured what the "default" distance is between spring perces on XJ axles? (...and is this measured from inside of spring perch to inside, outside to outside or centre to centre?) I'm also in the process of doing an axle swap and this info would be handy - I find it difficult to take accurate measurements on my exisiting D35 while still installed in the Jeep. I'm sure it would be easy enough once it's out, but I'd like to plan ahead to minimise the time my Jeep would out out of service.
i believe i measured 41 inches exactly from inner spring to spring. springs are 2.5 inches wide so 43.5 inches from center to center

The perches are 44" c to c!

Back