• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d35 drums on 8.25

cgmrdc

NAXJA Forum User
my d35 is going bad and have a line on a cheap 8.25. problem is it has no drums... still has backing plate.

question is will my d35 drums fit on 8.25 backing plate? the autoparts store said there was no diff in there computer.

ive searched and all i can come up with is disc conversions which unfortunately is not an option right now $$$

thanks guys

well 50 for discs or 60 for new drums... if i cant put my 35 drums on my 8.25 that would be a route im willing to take but if its a direct swap like the autoparts said it is ill just stick with drums i have

Not 100% sure but I do think they will fit. I have a stack of old drums in the Jeep barn out back and they are from both axles. They all look the same diameter and thickness.

8.25 drums did not fit my old d35 axle, well they fit but they did some strange pulsating grabbinbg thing, It was a parts guy screw up

I think the only difference is the backing plate. Every auto parts place I went to only had 9 or 10 inch brakes nothing about the chryco 8.25 just the turdy five and the 44

Part # 52001151 for 84-89 Dana 35
Part # 52001915 for 87-90 Dana 44
Part # 52005350 for 90-01 Dana 35 or 8.25

I hate these parts places that ask you things that were not offered.

cgmrdc said:
hmmm... thanks for the clarification. is 100 bucks a good price on a 27 spline 8.25 with backing plate but no brakes?

Not really around here, I can usually find a 29 spline 8.25 for that.

However D-44's go for around 600 if you are buying from a parts yard.

cgmrdc said:
hmmm... thanks for the clarification. is 100 bucks a good price on a 27 spline 8.25 with backing plate but no brakes?

I guess but maybe a little less since I can't imagine them being in high demand. I'd figure if you were going to a 8.25 you might get a 29 spline one but if money is an issue right now you can upgrade later.

cgmrdc said:

yeah, I'd give a left testy to get one that cheap, drums or not.

buy it, build it as $ alow, and put it in

Or you could buy it & meet me at the border and sell it to me?

hmmm $100 for the axel and &100 in gas... i dont think it would be worth it for either of us... are they that hard to come by up there? theres a local salvage yard that the owner drive an iowa state trooper xj... with no floor boards as his yard car. im pretty sure it has an 8.25... and full skids that he wont let me have...

If I lived closer to VA I would be :badpc: with a missed deal like that.

I would wait for a 29 spline- a 27 is almost a replacement for a D35, a 29 is a true upgrade.

Back