• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 Cherokee Radio Removal without cracking..

Grab and pull it toward you, just clipped on, might have to pull the clips out of the dash and put them back on the panel before you put it back on.

Also put the tranny in 1st with the brake on. Gives you more room to get the cover off.

To remove the instrument panel center bezel...​
Use a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool. Gently pry the instrument panel center bezel away from the instrument panel far enough to disengage the six snap clip retainers that secure it from the receptacles in the instrument panel.
The whole center panel will pop right out...​

It does come off a lot easier than it goes back on. Especially if you take it all the way off to work on the instrument panel. When you go to put it back on, you'll question how the heck you ever got it off in the first place. I've had my stereo stolen several times and taken it off to replace dash lightbulbs and still find it a struggle to put it back on.

luv2offroad said:
It does come off a lot easier than it goes back on. Especially if you take it all the way off to work on the instrument panel. When you go to put it back on, you'll question how the heck you ever got it off in the first place. I've had my stereo stolen several times and taken it off to replace dash lightbulbs and still find it a struggle to put it back on.
Where do u live?So I don't move there.

On a 99xj you get your fingers under the center of the trim and jerk not pull or pry.Pops right out I swear.

greychalet said:
Where do u live?So I don't move there.

Even better, the second time they stole my stereo they took it sans faceplate. I had that in my purse. Also, stole a $1 calculator and homemade first aid kit (in a red plastic toolbox) but left the hi-lift jack and the new parts sitting on the front passenger side floor. It was parked in front of the autoshop that was planning to install the parts the next morning. :doh: Silly thieves!!!!

I've always found it easy to grab that trim by the bottom so that it doesn't feel like it's gonna snap in to a million pieces. Get your hands back behind it on the very bottom and pull, just snaps right off.

As mentioned, having the tranny in the 1-2 setting with the brake set allows you a lot more room to pull that piece out once you've got it off.

Back