• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Died.... :(

Rynxprs

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 93 4.0

The last couple days it's been hard to start....but starts.
Last week or so I have felt a slight hesitation while accelerating.
Last night, as I was driving it hesitated and then just died and woudl not start.
We then started smelling a burning smell inside the truck. Like a wire burned.

All accessories work. Jeep turns over, but won't start.

Engine codes that I read when I did the key dance are...
These are from a website for a 97 TJ...I coudln't find one for a XJ, i'd imagine it's pretty much the same.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11*[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]No Crank Reference Signal at PCM[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11**[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP, or Misfire Adaptive Numerator at Limit[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, or CKP sensor target windows have too much variation[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]12*[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Battery Disconnect[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Direct battery input to the PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]41***[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Generator Field Not Switching Properly[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]An open or shorted circuit detected in the generator field control circuit[/FONT]

Any ideas where to start? My dad thinks it may be a blown fuse somewhere.

Sounds like the classic "Crankshaft position sensor" failure...but sure...check your fuses, relays, inspect wiring, grounds...

search forum for "no start" threads....

McQue said:
Sounds like the classic "Crankshaft position sensor" failure...but sure...check your fuses, relays, inspect wiring, grounds...

search forum for "no start" threads....

Well I fixed that probably 2 years ago...if that. Definitly not the same hesitations i was getting then.

Fuel pump coming on and pressurizing rail?

Not to sure if your 97TJ OBDII codes mesh with your OBD1 xj

11 Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor

Start by checking all the fuses first (underhood/inside missing or blown) and then look over the wiring for any problems (melted/pinched/cut). Does the tach read RPM when you are cranking the motor over? If no then next would probably be to replace the crank sensor.

checked all the wiring I could see under the dash, under the jeep and in the engine bay and no fried/pinched wires.

Back