• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those with 456 gears....

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
i have n 89 with the 3.07 in the rear end and i have 31inch tires on it and 5th gear isnt usable as i expected.

with that being said i would like to hear opinions and comments about what company to get 456 gears from. Maybe a review like -onroad/offroad- acceleration- gas mileage- etc. of the 456 gears.

Thanks any comments welcome

4.56s with a 5spd and 31s will be awesome offroad.. probably an increase in fuel economy around town and 70 mph on the highway around 3500 RPM.. i'd do it if i wasnt going to daily drive it and planned for 33s in the future. if you are limiting yourself to 31s you might be happier with a compromise of 4.10s.

This isnt my DD only in the winter and occasions to go get it dirty or trailer it somewhere like silver lake or something so 456's would be up my ally along wit a set of 33's tires. I want to know about the acceleration increase. Has anyone done a before and after of previous gears then the new 456's in a 0 to 60mph test? Im not draggin it but thats all i can refer to.

if you dig around on hot rodding sites you may find a comparison like that.. but look at it this way. you will be running a ratio that is 150% of your original and thats a huge step.

i have yukons, and have not had any issues so far. and with my aw4 i ran 33's for quite a while, and accel was quite nice... as for my mpg's..... not so nice. i get better milage with 35's mtr's than my 33" bfg at's. but the 33 combo is very nice and tourqy offroad and on. also... i bought them on ebay from an ebay store.

My yukons are great, but I have an auto and 33's.

What axles are you running?

Look around the jy for some axles outta a cherokee that have a tow package (come with 3.73 gears). Or get a 8.8 outta a ford explorer bc it comes with 4.10 gears and just get 4.10 gears for you dana 30.

-Alex

mine are both dana...the front is factory the rear were very easy to set up

I have yukon 4.56s in the front and Richmond 4.56s in the rear, with 33s my mpg is 14 on a very good day. I have tons of power though, and it is great off roading. I think im going to 35s next though just for the mpg as well as why not.

i got my gears from mike at http://completeoffroad.com/ He took paypal, ebays gears all the time, and i we impressed with his service and speed of delivery. 2 days after paying, i had my gears at the door with master install kits. He is also very good at setting up a package deal with you. Let him know what you want as far as gears and install kits, and he will make you a heck of a deal with free shipping.

I would def go with yukons again. My richmond has whinned since install, the back lash is right, the contact pattern is great, i just got a set that whines between 40 and 50 mph. I have not had any problems with my yukons though.

NighthawkXJ said:
I have yukon 4.56s in the front and Richmond 4.56s in the rear, with 33s my mpg is 14 on a very good day. I have tons of power though, and it is great off roading. I think im going to 35s next though just for the mpg as well as why not.
do you have the proper speedo gears, you should be getting higher than that...thats about what I am getting with 4.56 and 31"

red_01_xj said:
do you have the proper speedo gears, you should be getting higher than that...thats about what I am getting with 4.56 and 31"

What speedo gear do you use? I am 31" with 4.56 and I am usu 10 -15 MPH off?

I like the 4.56 with 31". Allot of power on and off road. Really pulls my trailer good and I get good flotation in the sand without having to use 4 Low. I am moving up to 33" though because I need better clearance with the 8.8.

I'm running Yukon 4.56s with a 5 speed also. I did have 3.07 with 32's and went to the 4.56's. The difference was huge. You have to do a lot more shifting and I would start out in second all of the time. I then went to 35's and that was much better. Better mileage down the road and back to starting out in first. I am back on 33's for a while because I traded my 35's with a buddy that just finished a lift on his wrangler. I think 33's with the 4.56's is about perfect for all around. I will be going back to 35's though.

As far as the speedo gear goes I forget what tooth I have but with the stock one it was saying I was doing 50 mph in second gear.

so stock is dana 30. The kit cost 129$+ shipping. That includes front and rear right? What else do i need to install the kit myself?

4.56's with 31" BFG's..stock front D30, D44 rear redone with Spicer gears. 2.5L/AX5, locked rear.

Not a DD, but it gets the job done :)

Picture019.jpg

i just drove from minneapolis to fargo...averaged 17 mpg...with an aw4 and 31 with 4.56

so now i need a parts list. 89xj dana 30 front and dana 35rear. 456 gears probably the yukons. Whats a cost effective of putting posi in. But what else do i need to install them myself other then the tools, oil, and backlash gauge.

Back