• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and want to swap out the Low pinoin D30 for a High pinion D30. I reacently found a high pinion D30 from a 1990 XJ for $100.00. Will this D30 be a good fit for my XJ. If not what year XJ should I look for to get a high pinion D30. I basicly want to truss it put a locker in with alloy shafts and bolt it in.

Thanks for the Help.

It will work but it is a disco, you will need to modify the axle a lil and remove the disco box...

Yeah, I'd pass on that one if I were you. First off, you should be able to find one out of a 96-98, which will if nothing else just be newer, but also have larger u-joints and no vaccum disconnet. If you're not in a huge rush, you can probably find one that is already locked for sale from somebody upgrading to a D44 front end. That's what I'd do, just my two cents....

chris420 said:
I have a 2000 XJ and want to swap out the Low pinoin D30 for a High pinion D30. I reacently found a high pinion D30 from a 1990 XJ for $100.00. Will this D30 be a good fit for my XJ. If not what year XJ should I look for to get a high pinion D30. I basicly want to truss it put a locker in with alloy shafts and bolt it in.

Thanks for the Help.

Check to make sure it's not a disco axle - it should be pretty obvious (there will be a vacuum actuator - or a pad for one - on the passenger side tube.) I think the disco axle went away in mid-1989, but don't hold me to it.

Solid shafts can be put into a disco housing - it's been covered here, but I don't have a link offhand. Also, the larger U-joint later model shafts can be put into an early housing - so you're still ahead of the game if you swap in the axle. I believe the later one-piece large U-joint shafts can be put into the earlier disco housing as well, but don't hold me to that at the moment, either...

rcnerd said:
sorry to hijack, but can't you put a std axle into a disco housing?
you can but i'd only do it to an axle i already had if i wanted low budget.. he's looking for an axle to upgrade so theres no reason not to buy a non-disco.

I dont mean to hijack either, but i do have a 1990 and it DOES have the disco D30 in the front... I plan on installing a lift, bigger tires, lockers, etc etc etc..
Is it a bad idea to stick with this axle, or should i consider swapping in a non disco. What other options do i have? I think my questions and your answers could also apply to the original poster.
Thanks for your time.

Muad'Dib said:
I dont mean to hijack either, but i do have a 1990 and it DOES have the disco D30 in the front... I plan on installing a lift, bigger tires, lockers, etc etc etc..
Is it a bad idea to stick with this axle, or should i consider swapping in a non disco. What other options do i have? I think my questions and your answers could also apply to the original poster.
Thanks for your time.

Thank you - I wasn't sure if the disco with the 231 disappeared when they went to the AX-15 and 23-spline outputs...

Ideally, you'll want to convert it to a solid shaft - you'll be eliminating a joint, which is a potential point of failure. I know I'd want to get rid of the disco, but that's just me (I'd also prefer 44's fore and aft, but that's just me again. I like to overbuild just a bit. If I was building a 'crawler, I'd be doing at least 60/44, if not 80FF/60FF...)

Mini-Hijack: My 1991 XJ had the vacuum disconnect on it. Everything I've read indicates that 1992 was the year they dropped the Disco axle and went with non-disconnect. ABS-equipped units would have the 297 u-joints; in 1995 they all went to 297 u-joints.

IMHO the best axle to grab would be a 1995-1999 Dana 30.

:)

The dropped the CAD D30 in 92, so 92+ had no CAD. The older ones would be CAD if they had the NP231, but they were nonCAD on the 242 equipped vehicles.

Either way, I'd look for a 95-99 and go with that.

balloo93 said:
The dropped the CAD D30 in 92, so 92+ had no CAD. The older ones would be CAD if they had the NP231, but they were nonCAD on the 242 equipped vehicles.

X2, if the axle your looking at if from a 1990 with a 242, it won't have the disconnect, but it will have the smaller U-joints.

Yukon gear sells a disco bypass kit that includes the block off plate, and new seal for inside the diff.

Since your talking about trussing, this is irrevelant, however the disco housing is actually a little stronger when it comes to the pass side UCA mount. However it's just as easy to beef up the mount vs. converting the axle to a one piece shaft.

Also for anyone wanting to keep the disconnect, 95 YJs with ABS have the 2 piece shaft, but use the 297 joints (if you can find them!).

1996cc said:
That's how my 1990 is, I don't have the vacuum crap.
Lucky You.
A 1998 Would probly be the best match for you.

Thanks for all the help. So it looks like the 98-99 D30 axles would be the best choice. I am going to buy new axle shafts and probably, ARB locker, and if need be 4.10 ring and pinion. I do not want to deal with the disco stuff. Will my brakes from the low pinion D30 fit on the high pinion? How much should I expect to pay for a high pinion axle that is from a 98-99?

XJPhoenix said:
Mini-Hijack: My 1991 XJ had the vacuum disconnect on it. Everything I've read indicates that 1992 was the year they dropped the Disco axle and went with non-disconnect. ABS-equipped units would have the 297 u-joints; in 1995 they all went to 297 u-joints.

IMHO the best axle to grab would be a 1995-1999 Dana 30.

:)

1995 is a transition year, I've seen them with either 260's or 297's. Safer bet would be a 1996.

Ron

If you´re trussing the D30 show the UCA mount some love and plate it and make some mini skidplates for the LCA mounts - it stiffens them and protects them from rocks.

The text is written in german, but you get the idea...

dana30_2.jpg

Throw in some axle seals from Alloy USA...

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alloyusa-axleseals.html

Muad'Dib said:
Again not to hijack, but since i already have the disco d30 in my 90, are there things that i can do to it to eliminate major failure points without having to swap in one from a 96-99? Like converting it to a one peice axle shaft or similiar?
Again thanks for the help.

Did you see my post?

You can run 95 wrangler w/ABS shafts to get the larger joint and keep the bypass

OR:

Yukon makes the bypass kit, part# YAW39147-KIT. This includes the plate and seals. You can make your own as well, just search, I know it's been done many times. Then you need newer 1 piece shafts from 95+, or some alloys.

Back