• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacers

dodo4bird

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a 4 inch lift OME. I bought some 32X11.50 tires today and they rub on the leaf spring bolt. so im going with wheel spacers. I have read in some forums that spidertrax is the brand to go with.. they are sold out anything any oher brands you would recommend? also do i have to have the same spacers in front and back? I was thinking about these for my stock rims. http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2131/.f

I know that 1-1/4 inch spacers would easly get them off the leafsrping but should i go bigger, for turning? i do not plan on bigger tires anytime.
I have been working on my jeep for months and this is the last thing i need before i can play.
Thanks

You could just buy a set of soft 8 rims for about the same price and do it right. A 15"x8" rim with 4"-4.5" of backspacing would work great.

Check e-bay, I got mine there. A full set of 4 1" spacers for $110 shipped, no issues after 6 months. I had the same issue with my OME hd leafs, the spring clamp bolt meets the tire at its widest place and was rubbing. The spacers took care of the issue.
rubsxv6.jpg

balljoints2lh9.jpg

this is what im going off of
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938176&highlight=wheel+spacers

one person said that you should buy hign quality spacers(spidertrax etc) whats the ETC

Xjtrailrider. you put 11.50 on that i assume. you have a brand on that spacer? i dont have the money for alum wheels (the best way to go) with the correct spaceing. I could do a steel wheels or spacers. just think that my stock rims look good. and it seems to be a split decsion on which is better steel or spacers.

what's your budget?

dodo4bird said:
I know that 1-1/4 inch spacers would easly get them off the leafsrping but should i go bigger, for turning?

My quess is that with your 11.50 tyre you should be fine with the 1.25" spacers. I ran those with 31" tyres and had no rubbing on the lower control arms at full lock. Now with the 33's they do rub slightly, but much less than 31s without spacers!

I'm running 31x10.5 Dayton Timberline's. They tend to run larger than say a BFG. I had less than 1/2" clearance between the tire and the clamp and I didn't want to chance it on the trail. I was worried that tire deflection could eat the side wall on the bolt.

As far as the brand of the spacers? I don't know, I ordered them from a e-bay store and I can't remember that either. The quality seemed ok.

I recently found Pacesetter brand black steelies 15x7, for $34 a wheel local(no shipping) and may end up going that route. I'm not having any issues with the spacers but if I have to make a trail repair to a axle the spacers are one more thing in my way and one more thing to torque before heading down the highway.

One piece of advice on spacers; after you run them for a week or so pull the wheels back off and re-torque them! I also used Never Sieze on the axle studs and where the spacer meets the WMS. I also always retorque my wheels about a week after putting them on.

Do not use a air impact to put them on, use a hand tool and only bring them down snug. Torque them down using a cross pattern and step the torque. I use 30# first step, 60# second step and then finish them up with 90#

The XJ uses a "Lug Centrec" mounting system so its important to get the lug nuts seated into the spacers evenly otherwise you will wobble like a clown car at slow speed and the Jeep will rattle your teeth fillings out on the highway!

Last edited:
1.25" 6061 billet aluminum wheel adapters like Spidertrax sells will work perfectly for your 15x7 stock wheels. Stock BS is 5.25 on your 15x7 stock wheels, so you will wind up with a net of 4" BS. 4"-4.5" BS works well for the XJ platform, you could run a 1" BWA for a net BS of 4.25"

I've run billet adapters with various stock Jeep wheels for years, never had a wobble or had lug nuts loosen up. I install the lugnuts in a star pattern by holding a deep socket with my hand, tighten until hand snug and the shoulder of the nut is seated. Then torque to 90 lb./ft. using the same star pattern. Simple.
I've never used lock tight, acutally I use anti-seize on my studs.

ok everyone seems to like the spidertrax. and or the "ebay ones" i dont like to mess around with wheels so ill go with quality. thanks everyone.. now all i need is for spidertrax to get some in stock.
thanks everyone

Back