• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Propane... This one is a pickle.

DirtyMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe I'm insane; but I want to convert my 'perfectly good' renix 4.0 to propane... DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO TALK ME OUT OF IT!

I 'think' my conversion would require: (This is for an 89 4.0 Renix engine)

Junkyarding:

Propane tank
Mixer (200-300CFM, nobody knows what's best, it will be decided by what I can get)
Regulator
Assorted hoses/valving. Ah, maybe buy them new. Probably should talk to the local impco dealer or something...

CJ/YJ intake (carbed intake), or modify the renix one? (Fill various holes) Or MAKE one!
CJ/YJ ignition, being dist, coil and god knows what else

(After some thinking, a GM HEI distributor and 77-83 Ford Fairmont with a 200 inline 6 dist wires would make more sense.)

Make:

Adapter plate for mixer.
Tank mounts, line mounts, etc. No big deal.

Now, I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and avoiding spending money until I've got a half-decent plan. The stock wiring harness will be butchered, so I might have to pick up a painless harness or something, if I screw up.

Now, my current slight dilema is that I can't easily find 0* TDC as the harmonic balancer has no timing marks. I can get around this, but it's ugly.

Thoughts? I'll give you more details later if anyone cares...

Yes, I'm very aware of them and their kits... Perhaps I should call them? However, they specifically state they are NOT into converting EFI vehicles.

And I'm doing this junkyard style. There's plenty of propane vehicles to scavenge parts from around here.

Their kit is for a YJ, not a renix.

The YJ harmonic balancer already has timing marks as their ignition is not computer controlled.

I just need to know if it will fit.

I don't know if their search feature is disabled...

but POR had a few good threads on propane and jeeps...

I know a guy that had a propane MJ and he got all his info from there...

Without timing marks?

I know a way. It involves removing the head.

So, that's why I kinda want to use a YJ harmonic balancer if I can. That and I need my ignition to be advanced almost 12*.

I'll google through pirate.

Finding TDC does not require removing the head....you need a degree wheel, a piece of stiff wire (coat hanger) and a piston stop...I was going to explain how to do this, but it quickly became a novel..so here is a different approach.

You can buy or build a piston stop...i built mine from an old sparkplug, a piece of 3/8 threaded rod, and a jamb nut. The degree wheel was a few bux at a local auto parts store...You can also buy kits that have everything including a training video....once you have those components, add in a good dial indicator with magnetic stand and you can degree in cams as well.

An internet search "finding tdc" turns up plenty of instruction on how to do it.

MudDawg said:
Finding TDC does not require removing the head....you need a degree wheel, a piece of stiff wire (coat hanger) and a piston stop...I was going to explain how to do this, but it quickly became a novel..so here is a different approach.

You can buy or build a piston stop...i built mine from an old sparkplug, a piece of 3/8 threaded rod, and a jamb nut. The degree wheel was a few bux at a local auto parts store...You can also buy kits that have everything including a training video....once you have those components, add in a good dial indicator with magnetic stand and you can degree in cams as well.

An internet search "finding tdc" turns up plenty of instruction on how to do it.

Actually finding TDC wasn't a huge deal to me. I said removing the head just because that's the for sure way to make sure you find true TDC... Anyways, my issue is really more in setting the timing.

Actually, I'll admit it's mostly because I've never done it before! I'll go read some stuff.

DirtyMJ said:
Their kit is for a YJ, not a renix.

The YJ harmonic balancer already has timing marks as their ignition is not computer controlled.

I just need to know if it will fit.

Kit says for a 4.0L, not a specific vehicle. You're going to be pulling all of the electronics off with propane why would it matter whether you start with a non-HO or HO? As I mentioned before, I believe the 258 distributor will work and you should be able to find a timing tape to stick to the balancer once you find TDC.

Okay, I can buy a tape that has the timing marks on it?

Wow, why didn't somebody just say that sooner.

I've got a GM HEI 250ci dist to go in it. And I can find TDC now... Yayyyy...

If you can find a tape for your particular damper, you still need to find tdc in order to index it properly.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but can you explain why you want to go propane? I'm guessing that propane is cheap enough in your area and with the better engine efficiency, it makes up for having 20% less energy per gallon?

Take a rag with paint on it and wipe it over the outside of the balancer. The paint will fill the mark(s) and make them visible. I have done this on several balancers that appeared to have no marks. Crayons work as well. Use white, yellow or another light color (my kids don't mind when I take the white because they don't use them anyway).

Last edited:
Back