• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are all 87-89's dana 44's?

binderbart

NAXJA Forum User
Going to pull a rear axle out of a 87-89 cherokee tomorrow for $50, are all of them dana 44's in that year range? from the searching I've done I would say yes.

Nope. Don't be too quick to pay and pull. Just because you see a trailer hitch DOES NOT mean that the XJ has a D44 under there. Make sure to check. The majority of them are STILL D35's.

NO. The year you are most likely (no guarantee) to find a D44 in is a 87 with the factory tow package.

Okay, so the way I'm understanding this is, they were only made available in the 87-89 range, and that depending on if it had the tow package or not. So if this one has it, and I end up putting it under my rig and break an axle shaft four wheeling, how hard is it going to be to get another axle shaft?

Hmmm, "needle in a hay stack" most likely. IF you think that you are going to break one, then I suggest going to CroMoly, and be done with it.

Just remember that the Scout is getting hard to find 'shafts for also...( sux, don't it-damd' if you do, damd' if you dont.) I would personally go look and if I found the D44, take it, change the seals, gears if I had to, and then run it.

ren said:
Just remember that the Scout is getting hard to find 'shafts for also...( sux, don't it-damd' if you do, damd' if you dont.) I would personally go look and if I found the D44, take it, change the seals, gears if I had to, and then run it.
That's why I would use a scout axle, I have 8 axle shafts sitting on the shelf right now, and I got about 4 sets of scout axles (front and rear) sitting too. I have a lot of scout parts, I own 3 scouts. the scout dana44 is a full floater, and that is nice.

ManBearPig said:
my 87 had the d35
So, alas, did mine.

I had a couple of Scout 800's. The 44's on those were not full floaters, but 3/4, although they had a nutted hub on a taper. But they were definitely not full. I have one of those axles right now with its innards out, serving as a cement mixer trailer.

edited to add I think the bigger size Scout II "Terra" used full floaters.

This crap of where to find a Dana 44 rear gets old. I own two 87 XJs that have Dana 44 axles from the factory. One has the AW4 auto, and the other has the Pugot pos manual. Both of them have trailer hitches, but neither of them were facory towing packages. If you have an 87 XJ, it is a crap shoot if you have a Dana 44 rear axle. I owned three 90 XJs in the past and they all had Dana 35s. I have never owned an 88 XJ. I think your chances are good if you have an 87, whether or not it has the factory towing package, and bad if you own any other year XJ. Stick your head under the rear end and look at the pumpkin. It is easy to see, even if the carcass is the top on a pile of 3 high.

Matthew Currie said:
So, alas, did mine.

I had a couple of Scout 800's. The 44's on those were not full floaters, but 3/4, although they had a nutted hub on a taper. But they were definitely not full. I have one of those axles right now with its innards out, serving as a cement mixer trailer.

edited to add I think the bigger size Scout II "Terra" used full floaters.

correct, the scout II, 71 and up had the dana 44 full floaters, 73 and older was a greased rear bearing, 74 and new was 90w lubed, also, a lot of the scout II dana 44 came with a factory trash lock in it, and this carrier will not accept a aussie or lock rite locker.

Scout D44s full floaters? I don't think so. They are semi-floaters for sure. Don't wanna believe? Head over to the Binder Bulletin website and ask. I've had 3 Scouts, 72, 74, 80. All semi-floaters, everyone I knew that had a Scout had semi-floaters, every Scout I've seen had a semi-floater. Never seen, nor ever even heard of, a Scout with a full-floater. I know there is a full-floater kit availble. Not from the factory though.

Last edited:
binderbart said:
correct, the scout II, 71 and up had the dana 44 full floaters, 73 and older was a greased rear bearing, 74 and new was 90w lubed, also, a lot of the scout II dana 44 came with a factory trash lock in it, and this carrier will not accept a aussie or lock rite locker.
Ah,. let's drift this thread to Scout nostalgia....Mine had the Powr-lok. Made a funny clank when you started up and those spider gears climbed up the ramps, but it really did lock. Fantastic snow plowing vehicle. Once upon a time I did that as a part time job. The only time I ever stuck it was in the historic blizzard of 1978 (the New England version) when I hit a drift, the plow lifted, and I ended up with all four wheels off the ground. That was a very long day.

Eliminator89 said:
Scout D44s full floaters? I don't think so. They are semi-floaters for sure. Don't wanna believe? Head over to the Binder Bulletin website and ask. I've had 3 Scouts, 72, 74, 80. All semi-floaters, everyone I knew that had a Scout had semi-floaters, every Scout I've seen had a semi-floater. Never seen, nor ever even heard of, a Scout with a full-floater. I know there is a full-floater kit availble. Not from the factory though.
maybe I'm refering to it wrong, to me , a full floater is a axle, that if you snap a axle shaft, it will stay put and not slide out like the horseshoe clip chevy axles. maybe semi full is the correct wording.

MoFo said:
This crap of where to find a Dana 44 rear gets old. I own two 87 XJs that have Dana 44 axles from the factory. Both of them have trailer hitches, but neither of them were facory towing packages.

Question do yours have the factory Tow Prep Package (heavy duty 2-row radiator and wiring connectors to add a trailer tow harness) even though they didn't have a tow hitch?

There is a difference between having a Tow Package (comes with the hitch, wiring, and cooling upgrades) and a Tow Prep Package (comes with wiring connections to add the tow wiring and cooling upgrades)

Last edited:
Semi-floater has the wheel hub as a part of the axle shaft. If the axle snaps, the wheel exits the vehicle.

Full-floater has a large hub in the middle of the wheel. There will be a series of bolts holding a cover plate to the end of the hub. You remove the plate and can remove the axle shaft while the hub and wheel remain holding the truck up. Most Dana60 axles are full-floaters. Snap a full-floater axle and the vehicle doesn't lose its wheel.

If you have such a hub and axle arrangement on your Scout, its been put in there by someone other than the factory.

the "tow package" thing is a myth. i'm pretty sure The rear 44 was an option in 87-89 similar to how it has been an option in ALL TJs....we pulled a 44 from a 87 XJ which had a 2.5L hurricane motor, and definitely no tow package....its really hit or miss.

That being said, make sure you know the difference between a 35 and 44 when you go to the yard.

-Tim

How do you know someone didn't swap a 44 in before it ended up in the yard?
I've always heard (and speak from experience,see last sentence) that the 44 only came in xj's with the tow package....I don't think it was a separate option.Not saying your wrong or I'm right....just saying.
For what it's worth the 44 I have sitting at my house that I personally pulled from an 87xj,had the factory tow package.

Back