• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid grand shifter handle

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Well I really hate to post about something this stupid, but I have an 89 auto, just got a handle off a 95 grand pulled my old one off, but for the life of me I cant get this one to seat so I can depress the button to shift. It goes on quite firm but just wont go down all the way. I've tried to help it with a rubber mallet but no help.

Look inside of the handle (where the shifter bar goes). There's a small plastic sleeve with a ledge on it that keeps the bar from going far enough. Actually, I may be completely wrong - I can't remember. However, I do know that I tried this myself and there wasn't any way of getting it to work that I could see.

I got er on, works good, had to snap the very top part off the metal shift arm, (no longer indexes itself), positioned it where I was comfortable, beat it with a rubber mallet until the pushbutton worked in all gears and park. I though it would just slide and click into place.

I used heat from a torch/heatgun to soften everything up, then used a piece of 2x4 wood to disperse the pressure when you whack it with the rubber mallet.

tight fit, but will go on... I like it. really not a big dif, but I rest my hand on the shifter while driving most of the time, so this being a little closer to my leg works nicely.

If you look inside the Grand handle, you will notice that it is a little longer / deeper than the XJ part. Just cut it down so that it is as deep as the original. Then persuade it on with the blunt instrument of your choice, after first lining up the key to the slot. Have them in my '92 and '96. Reminds me of my long gone '98 ZJ.

Back