• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Flares

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
100_3048.jpg

100_3049.jpg

100_3050.jpg

100_3051.jpg

How do you think they look? They're factory rear TJ flares. Obviously, I'll paint them before really installing them, they're just clamped on.

Now for the tech question: What should I use to attach them?
  • I don't want to use nuts and bolts, because I don't want to drill holes and then later decide that I don't want them and be left with holes in my fender. I also don't want to mangle the fender if I bump into a tree or get it almost ripped off.
  • I was thinking I'd use 3M heavy duty double sided foam sticky tape stuff, but the fender has alot more contour than the flares do. I figure this would be good to hold them on, and if they were attempted to be ripped off, they would just unstick and I'd just need to restick them.

I can't think of anything else though, so, what kind of ideas do you have?

I like how those look and I don't remember seeing a pic of somebody with the TJ rears on, even though I've heard talk of it. How far down does it come in the back by the door? Do you have it so it stops just before that lower body line? Do you have any just straight up side pics? I've never used that 3M tape, will that consistenly hold up at highway speeds?

That looks so much better than having the TJ front flares on the front- nice job. It even leaves a gap at the bottom for the rock rails to fill in. I'm not sure about double sided tape- are they thin enough to do rivets? Those holes don't need to be too large and if you don't use a stainless or huge rivets should give with a reasonable amount of force.

I'm pretty sure taping your flares on will not hold up.

Let me know though..

Apparently I lied. I sent this thread to a friend that works at 3m.

"yeah, tell him to use the 3M trim & adhesive stuff. i had some samples to reattach all my factory trim on the MJ. that stuff is some sort of super adhesive shit and it will not come off without pulling the tape/fender off with it.

you have to get it from a paint shop though, it's not something you can get at Walmart or vAutozone

they use this stuff to hold steel sheets together in assemblies...."

This guy webwheels hard and in a past life (actually wheeling the trail) made the cover of JP. You can probably listen to him. :)

Mopar It said:
so you have cut the portion with the stock mounting bolts on it? that raised lip on all 4 corners?
Yeah, the fender is cut quite a bit. I still need to trim the inner lip of the flares more, so I don't counteract having the fender trimmed to begin with.

alteredxj said:
I like the look try the 3m tape if it doesnt hold go to somthing different
thanks

Naked Tree 2x4 said:
yeah do the 3m tape. what kind of vents are thos eon your hood?
The vents were custom made, but they're very similar to these: http://www.rocky-road.com/xjlouver.html

joshv98xj said:
I like how those look and I don't remember seeing a pic of somebody with the TJ rears on, even though I've heard talk of it. How far down does it come in the back by the door? Do you have it so it stops just before that lower body line? Do you have any just straight up side pics? I've never used that 3M tape, will that consistenly hold up at highway speeds?
Thanks for the compliment. For how far up the flare it, that back part is just where the flare ends stock. I had to cut the flare to match the lower body line. I didn't take any close up pics of that portion, because I cut off the back mounting lip, so it couldn't be clamped properly and looked pretty bad.

91Woody said:
That looks so much better than having the TJ front flares on the front- nice job. It even leaves a gap at the bottom for the rock rails to fill in. I'm not sure about double sided tape- are they thin enough to do rivets? Those holes don't need to be too large and if you don't use a stainless or huge rivets should give with a reasonable amount of force.
Thanks! Where the flare ends works out pretty well though considering I'll be replacing my rockers with 2x6 or 3x6 and I'll be extending it up there. If I were to bother with rivets, I'd just as well do nuts and bolts because i have wrenches and i don't have a rivet gun, there's about 3/16" of material with the fender and the flare, can rivets be that thick?

cal said:
Apparently I lied. I sent this thread to a friend that works at 3m.

This guy webwheels hard and in a past life (actually wheeling the trail) made the cover of JP. You can probably listen to him.
That's good news, I'll make some calls next week and see if I can find the intense 3M stuff, thanks for checking with him, I appreciate it.

I used sheetmetal screws on mine and have hit them on trees and the sides of embankments with no ill effects. Granted you don't want the hols but they are pretty small and could probably be fixed with jb weld or something similar

click to enlarge

How has no one mentioned zip ties yet? I remounted my stock flares with them after trimming and they hold fine. If I hit something, the zip ties will rip (if pushed hard enough) and the flare will just pop off. They hold up just fine - no play in them at all.

If he doesnt want holes for bolts, he wont want holes for zip ties.

yeah they are TJ's in the rear as well. The rubi flares would be to much for the rear but definately work good in the front because it does get narrower in the front. Good luck and trim as much of the mounting edge of the flare as possible to get extra clearance

Starscream said:
How has no one mentioned zip ties yet? I remounted my stock flares with them after trimming and they hold fine. If I hit something, the zip ties will rip (if pushed hard enough) and the flare will just pop off. They hold up just fine - no play in them at all.

I did the exact same thing lol

Your Jeep is OD Rattle Can Green right? If you don't like them later, just bondo your holes and hit them with the canned paint again.

Starscream said:

You still need holes though, which he doesn't.

The 3m tape will work. SOme guy rolled his jeep on it's side and the flares still held on.

Back