• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q about 8.25

89xjJe3per

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a dana 35 in the back rite now and i got a deal on a 8.25 with 4.10's already in it... my Q is what will i need to make it go in. I kno new U bolt's but what i want to know is will i need a new driveshaft? Or will my current DS work?

You will also need a larger spring plate for the u-bolts to go through. The driveshaft may be a little on the long side.

Yes it is but, it has a longer pinion depth aside from the larger axle tubes.

I just finished this swap on my 90'.

You will need:
8.25 drum to drum, the D-35 backing plates will not work with out modification. Make sure you get the flex line and block with it.

The D-35 U-bolt plates will work just fine, they are slotted to work with the D-44, D-35 and the later 8.25

U-bolts to fit a 3" diameter axle tube, go to a spring shop and get these, don't use that cheap auto parts store junk. I can't remember the length but I think its 8", They should be 1/2" diameter and have 1/2x20 threads per inch thread count.

The D-35 drive shaft should work just fine, but you may need a 8.25 shaft if the D-35 shaft is too long. Another option is the 8.25 shaft with a TJ slip yoke to get the 8.25 shaft a little longer. If you have any lift at all the D-35 shaft will work.

I unhooked the stock E-brake cables from the old D-35 and hooked them up to the 8.25 brakes(the brakes are the same its the backing plates that are different) then hook the 8.25 flex line to the stock hard line at the frame. Bleed the brakes, fill with fluid and go!

That's what i was reading, but every time you turn around some one says no... I'm going to go with what i read on here... It has been right so far.. Thank you

Here ya go. The D-35 axle just out of the Jeep and the 29 spline 8.25 that I set up with some 3.55's going in!

axleswap6me8.jpg

Here is a link to the swap thread on my local forum, I also took the opertunity to put in a bastard pack in the rear and a spacer in the front.
http://www.teamtrailblazer.com/showthread.php?t=1214
This is my DD not my trail rig!

89xjJe3per said:
Ok i have a dana 35 in the back rite now and i got a deal on a 8.25 with 4.10's already in it... my Q is what will i need to make it go in. I kno new U bolt's but what i want to know is will i need a new driveshaft? Or will my current DS work?

THERE YOU GO...

The D35's driveshaft is 5/8" longer than the C8.25's driveshaft. I used the D35 shaft when I did the swap last week.

I got my u-bolts from a driveshaft shop. They were $14 a piece with nuts and I got them 8" long and 1/2" diameter for a 3" tube. I got 3" of threads, but would suggest 3 1/2" of threads (the bolts were very close to bottoming out with 3" of thread and a Rusty's 4.5" leaf pack). I ended up using a lock washer and a regular washer just to be on the safe side so I would be sure to get them torqued down enough. You might need new pins, but I replace mine with a grade 8 bolt a while ago so I can't tell you for sure.

Back