• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 5.13 revse rotion gears?

Like Cornflake said no they won't, TJ's didn't come with a HP30, and the JK axles were beefed up and are different.

thanx ,I am still curiuos as to what is really different-like axle spline size, carriers ,what was beefed up about them.is it just the housing? I guess I really wanted to know technical stuff without having one in front of me to actuallySEE what is different side by side.Maybe I will just call superior axle

Without getting too technical, the teeth are cut "backwards"...will not fit a reverse cut axle.

The axles are COMPLETELY different! They aren't even really D30's in the JK. They are actually like D31's or 32s or something like that. The D44's in them, are actually D47's! They just kept the old names so people wouldn't get confused!

vetteboy said:
Well that worked... :conceited

I think it was more for the people buying the new JKs! Jeep made it VERY clear in 2001 that they didn't care what we though!

If they would have listed them as D32s(or what ever they are) and D47s, they would have gotten 11million questions about them, and since most Jeep dealers can even locate the axles on the vehicles, they would never know how to explain the differences.

markaboo929 said:
correct me if im wrong but is'nt reverse rotation for a hi pinion axle anyways?

Not really...calling anything 'reverse rotation' is usually wrong terminology. There are a few vehicles out there it applies to - some old GMC military trucks come to mind - but for the most part, all axles these days turn the same way.

So 'reverse rotation' and 'reverse cut' go together, but no one uses them anymore. You'd be hard-pressed to even find machines that can cut these anymore.

'Reverse spiral' is the proper name for a high-pinion gearset, because even though the pinion is above the axle centerline, the 'coast' and 'drive' side of the teeth remain the same (standard cut), and it turns the same way as a low pinion axle (standard rotation).

(yes, that web site is wrong in calling them that, but it's almost at the point where it is now 'right' by default, because most people know what you're trying to say anyway)

okydoky,got off the phone with superior and spoke with the tech dept...here goes.... the ring gear WILL bolt on the carrier,just the bolts are bigger,just drill the carrier,ok......as for the pinion the difference is in the bearing as the jk one is larger,and so the inner and outter bearings are different....so is the seal, naturally,BUT.... if I had one side by side who is'nt to say that if you were to machine the ones for the jk to the same size as the "other" hi pinion dana 30(xj) it just might work,dunno,just a thought................:dunno:

this is from Adam from Clayton offroad, he posted his JK biuld on a local club forum

99BoggerTJ said:
X and Sahara have High pinion D30 fronts. Much different then XJ HP D30. Ring gear and internals are a good size bigger. That is why they are offering a 4.88 and a 5.13 gear ratio. The rubi models have a HP D44 with 4.10 gears and 30 spline shafts.

markaboo929 said:
okydoky,got off the phone with superior and spoke with the tech dept...here goes.... the ring gear WILL bolt on the carrier,just the bolts are bigger,just drill the carrier,ok......as for the pinion the difference is in the bearing as the jk one is larger,and so the inner and outter bearings are different....so is the seal, naturally,BUT.... if I had one side by side who is'nt to say that if you were to machine the ones for the jk to the same size as the "other" hi pinion dana 30(xj) it just might work,dunno,just a thought................:dunno:
thats to much work for a turd

who really cares. i opened up a dana 30 the other day with 4:88s in it, and the pinion was a little bigger then a quarter. a 5:13 pinion would be so weak it would be useless

Back