• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 4WD

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my t-case output shaft seal the other day and now I have no 4WD. I had 4WD before I replaced it and none afterwards. Also if i put the t-case in neutral and the tranny in park i get a grinding noise. The tranny t-case seal is bad and that needs to be replaced also, but that shouldnt have any effect on my 4WD. Anyone have any ideas?

Don't worry about the grinding. With the xfer case in Neutral and shifting the tranny to park the grinding is normal. The tranny ouput shaft will free wheel and when you stick in in park the grinding is the lock pin trying to engage. No different than jamming it in park when the vehicle is moving.

Didn't knock the vacumn line for the from diff loose did ya? With the xfer case in 4wd, is the front drive shaft able to turn or not?

4WD light comes on and the lock light doesnt, and the axel doesnt engage in both. I dont hear the usual torquey nosie as usual when engaged and I cant climb my favorite hill anymore:bawl:

231 t-case? Which output seal? What lock light? Like lawsoncl said check the vacuum lines at the front diff and t-case vacuum switch (on top of the t-case).

Its a 242 T-case and the lock light in the cab that tells me if the front diff is engaged in 4hi or 4lo "Locked". I replaced the rear drive shaft output seal. I looked on front axel for a vaccum etc and found none. Only lines near the front diff are the break lines no others that I've been able to locate.

Because a 242 one doesn't have a vacuum dis-connect front axle. There is no lock light just a Full Time or Part Time lights. Do you have a tire with low air pressure or a different size tire on it?

Tire pressures are all fine and tires are 2months old. 4WD worked fine up until 2weeks ago when i changed the seal out. Is there an electrical relay that could be shorting out somewhere?

Went and tested the Junk on the road in 4low and 4hi and i get the response out of it I should. The light I'll change tomorrow and see if it lights up again or whenever it stops raining. But when driving off-road it didnt feel like it was engaged. I use to hear a high torque noise sound coming from the front end and now hear none! Can it be from water in diffs maybe?

Last edited:
Dude, i dont know what "lock" light you think you have - you dont have some kind of fancy locker in your diffs like a Rubicon does - unless you have done some kind of mod you're not telling us about.

when you replaced the output shaft seal, did you just remove the DS, remove the yoke, pop old seal off, put new seal back on, replace yoke, replace DS?

what year XJ????

MJR said:
Because a 242 one doesn't have a vacuum dis-connect front axle.

are you saying if he has a 242, he doesnt have a vacuum disco front axle? ummm...I believe he could, and he must...

i'm guessing his rig is an 87-91, with a vac disco front axle, but i dont know what this lock light is that he supposedly has....?:huh:

RªMB° said:
Tire pressures are all fine and tires are 2months old. 4WD worked fine up until 2weeks ago when i changed the seal out. Is there an electrical relay that could be shorting out somewhere?

No. Engaging or not is purely mechanical with the linkage and inside. There is a switch on the t-case that control the light only which is turned on as the shift shaft moves in the t-case.

RªMB° said:
Went and tested the Junk on the road in 4low and 4hi and i get the response out of it I should. The light I'll change tomorrow and see if it lights up again or whenever it stops raining. But when driving off-road it didnt feel like it was engaged. I use to hear a high torque noise sound coming from the front end and now hear none! Can it be from water in diffs maybe?

You said you did a front or rear output seal? You didn't take the t-case apart did you?

Water in the diff will cause the bearings to fail if left in there (that's why it's usually advisable to change the diff fluid after fording through water that was over the axle.

In Full time you won't feel a lot, just extra drag but in Part time you will feel it especially on tight turns.

JNickel101 said:
are you saying if he has a 242, he doesnt have a vacuum disco front axle? ummm...I believe he could, and he must...

i'm guessing his rig is an 87-91, with a vac disco front axle, but i dont know what this lock light is that he supposedly has....?:huh:

The vacuum dis-connect axle only came with Part Time transfer cases. It wouldn't make much sense to have a Full Time t-case and then have to connect the front diff. Someone could have swapped in a 242 to one that didn't have it but it wasn't factory built that way.

There are 2 lights on a 242 equipped Jeep (Full Time and Part Time). The differential in the transfer case is locked when in Part Time mode.

I replaced the rear output seal and no i didnt take the t-case apart. When my jeep is in Full Time a green 4WD light appears on my dash and when in Part Time an Orange lock light appears!

RªMB° said:
I replaced the rear output seal and no i didnt take the t-case apart. When my jeep is in Full Time a green 4WD light appears on my dash and when in Part Time an Orange lock light appears!

Yes Full Time and Part Time are what they say not lock.

Here's the deal. I do not see that just changing the rear output seal would cause this problem. Either there is a problem in the t-case, you have a wrong tire (outside diameter one each tire has to be the same or close to it otherwise the t-case won't shift right), or there is a problem with the switch/wiring/bulbs for the 4wd light. There are two wires coming from the switch and as each one is grounded it turns on each light.

Back