• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax

Mine is normally silent,now and then youll get a Bang that will scare the sh!t out of you.But its been flawless for 7 years now!

RCP Phx said:
Mine is normally silent,now and then youll get a Bang that will scare the sh!t out of you.But its been flawless for 7 years now!
if you could go back would you still buy the powertrax over a detroit?

oo7ravisXJ said:
if you could go back would you still buy the powertrax over a detroit?
Yes and NO,its an 8.25" so I didnt want to dump a ton of money in it.I also did this within 2 months of buying my 2000(new).Like I said its been great .I never had a Detroit of my own,I did put one in my sons rig.But for my 95 w/ D44 its got ARB's front/rear!

I've got one in my 8.25 and it has never failed to lock when needed, as stated you will get a good pop,or bang from it, some times worse than others but other than that it works good. I haven't used any other locker, and this one installed by the PO I'd guess about 30K ago.

i have one in the front and back of my 97. I love them for most things. mine locks up very easy, and with the 4.56 gears, you have to be all the way out of the gas on a corner or you can feel it lock up and hear the tires chirp, but not bad.

As for the front, i dislike it for kansas dry wheeling, I look forward to upgrading to a selectable locker in the front, but i will keep the noslip in the rear.

yeah the bang is quite frightening, but have not had a problem till the shop i went to for gear work in my front axle thought that they were going to be working on the rear and they broke one of the active spacers in the process. not happy about that. but i have had good lockup and unlock when i have wanted it.

BLSXJ said:
any one with experince driving with one in the rear, in a northern US/Canada winter and hwy?

I'll bump this :)

Thinking about a "No Slip" in my '99 DD. Are there any drawbacks worth noting? I can live with a noisey Jeep but don't want a rough ride or having a locker that causes unexpected engagment while turning in snow on the highway.

FWIW I have a Powertrax No-Slip up front in my HP non-disco 30.It occasionally pops real bad and you can feel the front end jerk a bit.This only happens in very slow or tight turns.It got worse recently after putting Mobil 1 gear oil in it.I just got off the phone with Powertrax tech support, and He recommended 75-140 synthetic with a 50 percent mix of Lucas oil stabilizer.I have a Detroit in the rear and its been quiet and flawless for several years now.

I have one in my 29 spline 8.25 and it has worked flawless for several years and I have not been easy on it. It started out in my DD before I converted that rig to my trail rig. I run Lucas gear lube in it and it is not as noisey as it was with the lighter lube. I have noticed that when temperatures get below 0 degrees, it is not engaging qute as easy, but I have a feeling that is related to the lube being firm from being so cold and the locker may have some of the firm lube in it. There is the possibility that it just needs a minor rebuild as well. That's just my $.02

BLSXJ said:
any one with experince driving with one in the rear, in a northern US/Canada winter and hwy?
I am impressed with mine. I've had it 4 years now and had to replace the springs once. In the snow, if you are heavy on the skinny pedal, it will swing around on ya. Just adjust your driving style. I've never had problems with it locking up and unlocking. When in the snow, I drive in 4-hi anyway so no real problems with it. It is also my daily driver and it makes several trips to Moab and surrounding areas regularly. I would recommend the no-slip to anyone for use in a DD.

I ran one in both my 8.25 and D30.. never a single noise, bang, pop, etc... Always locked up no questions asked.. Absolutely silent and was a great locker...

I purchased mine from DC4WD for something like $355.00 shipped....

-Chris

uncc civilengineer said:
I ran one in both my 8.25 and D30.. never a single noise, bang, pop, etc... Always locked up no questions asked.. Absolutely silent and was a great locker...

I purchased mine from DC4WD for something like $355.00 shipped....

-Chris

You must have some wicked soundproofing :laugh: You mean you couldn't even hear the normal engage-disengage sounds????

Mine has worked well.

My advice would be VERY careful when you do the install, and make sure everything goes together perfect. When you get the spacers/paddles lined up right out of the carrier prior to install, scribe a tick mark in them so you know where they need to line up again. It wil make life easier wonce you get the parts into the pumpkin.

They are bomber once they are set up, but they will break easily if you botch the install. The place that reinstalled mine after they redid the gears muscled it back together and the tabs on the paddles ended up breaking. Then I couldn't get the c-clip out. Big mess.

I had to take mine apart again last spring when I put in alloy shafts, and even though I was super careful with the install the previous time, I still had a problem getting the c-clip out. No matter what I did, it wouldn't drop, so I had to drill/dremel it out. PITA! When I reinstalled it, I got new clips, and polished them smooth. I also opened up the slot just a bit on the edges with a dremel to hopefully make sure it doesn't happen again, and they drop easy the next time.

There are only three options for the 8.25 : Powertrax, ARB, Detroit. I think the powertrax is a good choice, especially considering the cost options.

Back