• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty bilstiens

pro-rallye

NAXJA Forum User
my 7100's don't appear to like climates where it snows and gets wet and are rusting like crazy. what do you do to take care of this. i assume you have to buff them, but which compound do i use and how do you keep this from happening again? thanks

Aluminum polish will clean them up. A coat of wax keeps them looking pretty good, just got to make sure you clean them off regularly.
Kinda a bummer that they do rust so easily.

dunno about bilstein, but fox tells you to wax the shock bodies in the paper work that comes with the shocks, IF you care about your shocks....
if not, they should

Paint emm pink... protects them from rust, radiation, and queers.

yea they do rust really quickly for being nickel plated; i've tried the scotchbrite and wd40 trick, and although it did work, it didn't take long for all the rust to come back even worse. i think i will try to buff them out and wax them. does anyone have a recommendation of a type of wax to use. do i use a hard wax or something? i really don't wax my flaky clearcoated jeep all to often. thanks guys

I waxed mine originally. Didn't last all that long. I have heard of others using WD40 monthly or even PAM for cooking. I used a metal protector from Amsoil. Kind of light brown spray. I'm not worried about them being show worthy and sparkly, I just don't want them rusting like crazy. So far so good with the metal protector. But it has only been 2 months.

ddeadserious said:
Why can't you just paint them with Rustoleum or something?
seems to me that would degrade the heat transfer, not sure how much of an issue that could be, I scotchbrite and use wd-40 on mine, the bodies do rust pretty easily though.

Back