• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rigid competion winch bumper- street legal?

xcm said:
the bumper should be legal... but what about all the other honky crap on that thing?

X2. I would be worried about driving around with no doors before I worry about the bumper.

pa cops like to see doors on xj/mj's. i got a warning for it and yes, it is writtin in the law that unless it is manufactured without a roof or sides (wrangler) it needs to have doors. also, you may get hassled about that bumper. when i was building my first bumper i had just the center section done between the frame rails like that and i got a $150 ticket. the cop said i had no bumper and would not even look at it because from my driver side window he could not see any bumper and as far as he was concerned it was missing. i just paid the fine and finished the bumper the fulll width of the jeep. i don't know how the laws are written about this one, but check out out, most of it can be found online. maybe if it is registered as a truck it is different but i'd imagine there are rules about width and/or how much tire coverage you have to have. if you cant find it see if your local garage/inspection station knows. good luck!

I had my stock bumper cut down like that when I went for inspection last summer. My mechanic, who is a wheeler himself and understands why I would cut a perfectly fine bumper, said that I needed to have a bumper extend to the sides of the vehicle. I slapped on another full width bumper and zip-tied my bumperettes on and I got a sticker. I was never confronted by the local police about my cut down bumper, but maybe I was lucky. I'd hate to invest in a new bumper only to get a ticket or have to swap it out everytime I needed inspection.

i do recall NJ, PA and NY require the bumper extends the full width of the vehicle. i did at one point in time drive around without a bumper period for a 6month length of time and was not hassled.

I don't think I would do that around here. Your just asking for trouble.

As a side note, I run the Rigid front winch bumper (full length) and absolutely love it. I have winched hard with it and smacked into my fair share of trees and it is holding up well.

Back