• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd sound coming from firewall / glove box area

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Starting at about 15mph , coming from the firewall/glove compartment box area there is this kind of chirping/almost rattling/whistling sound. It's kind of hard to describe the sound exactly. But it will start when I press the gas and am at about 15mph and then continues until I get below 15mph and it stops. It only occurs while in motion, when i'm stopped , nothing. Only once I get passed that 15mph mark will it start. It sounds like it's behind the dash near the firewall in the general vacinity from the heater/HU console area and over to the glove box area. It's kinda hard to pinpoint exactly where since the car has to be moving and I can't really lean over to listen closer... any ideas of what this noise could be?

One possibility is the heater fan, so see if it changes when you change fan speed. Another possibility if it's a 97-up is the evaporative purge solenoid, which is mounted on the engine side of the firewall just above the blower motor. The one on my 99 often squeaks rhythmically when it's cold, and when it's warm it knocks at idle, masquerading as a bad rod bearing. You can eliminate this one easily by finding it and unplugging it briefly.

Another possibility might be some one of the vacuum motors in the heating and ac system, perhaps fluttering or leaking.

Finally, since it's often hard to detect the location of noises, it would be a good idea if you could have a passenger listen for it, perhaps with a window open. It could be coming from somewhere else than where it seems to.

It's an 87... if it is in the vacuum motor heat/ac system, how can I check / diagnose that? I'll check to see if the noise changes when I turn it to a different speed with the heater on/off when I go home in 30 mins.

Back