• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling System problem

IslanderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the situation:
I'm driving in stop and go traffic in LA, temp bounces off the edge of the red on the temp gauge.
I stop in a Parking Lot and turn the engine off and it starts puking fluid about a gallon in 5min for 10 min...
I fill up the overflow and the radiator and it steams and hisses and pops (as hot metal would when water is pound in it).
Then it did it again, drives...heats up...pull over... then it overflows.
WTF?

is traffic the only time it overheats? if so you need a new fan clutch. what year is your jeep maybe i can save you a few bux on one from napa.

could also be your water pump....at low speed/low rpm, it probably isnt moving water fast enough....the fins on the inside get corroded and worn down.

EDIT: get yourself a new pressure cap too...I'd just go ahead and do a fan clutch, water pump, cap, t-stat and flush your cooling system.

Well, it overheats on the trail if I run it hard for a while without moving very fast.
I turned it over after I finished filling it both times to burp the air out and the mech fan was spinning and the elec. fan kicked in after a few sec. because it was so hot.

I just replaced the water pump with a brand new Flow Kooler High Volume, but good call, the last one did eat a bearing and destroy itself.

then i'll go ahead and X2 on GrimmJeeper and say fan clutch...

and I'd still do the new Tstat and cap :)

(I have the same water pump and love it)

Fan Clutch.

For a band-aid until you get a new one in, Try unplugging your a/c clutch, then turning on the a/c will basically turn on your vents and electric fan.

btw, you gonna be in avalon this summer? i'm working on island again.

When was the last time the system was flushed? It usually wants cleaning every other year.

Also, tell me you didn't use tap water last time you filled it - that's just gagging for overheating! Tap water has dissolved metals and solids that crap things up in your system rather rapidly...

x2, always use distilled water...not just bottled water, and definitely not tap/hose water...

Well after it puked fluid two times I filled it up with tap water and concentrated coolant to get home.

But when I swapped out the water pump a few months ago I flushed the block & radiator with a hose and the let it drain out (dont tell the EPA) and filled it up with 50/50 coolant premix.

I turned the A/C on and pushed it over to hot so the fan would stay on and the heater would help in cooling (it a long drive between Santa Barbara and the next gas sation).

And ya, I'll be back on the island working this summer unless I get a great job up here.

GrimmJeeper said:
is traffic the only time it overheats? if so you need a new fan clutch. what year is your jeep maybe i can save you a few bux on one from napa.
Its a '92, but I get fat discounts from NAPA for being a Cuesta CC Auto Tech Student (took a body/paint class).

But thats besides the point, I found out that my lower radiator hose has a pinhole in it and dumps about half the radiator every time I kill the motor (water pump stops pumping). It still confuses me as to why it only does it when there is less pressure in the system... :dunno:

But a new fan clutch is still in order as well as a new radiator cap.

IslanderXJ said:
Its a '92, but I get fat discounts from NAPA for being a Cuesta CC Auto Tech Student (took a body/paint class).

But thats besides the point, I found out that my lower radiator hose has a pinhole in it and dumps about half the radiator every time I kill the motor (water pump stops pumping). It still confuses me as to why it only does it when there is less pressure in the system... :dunno:

But a new fan clutch is still in order as well as a new radiator cap.

Pinhole leaks (I've also heard them called "steamers") are funny that way. Apparently, as long as there is some circulation in the system, the water will "go with the flow" instead of blowing out the hole. Once the circulation has ended, the leak may then "express" itself.

I don't fully understand why it's that way, it just is, and that makes troubleshooting that much more of an "art" - in addition to a "science."

Dude, there are so many things it could be. Where was the coolant coming from? I had a very similar problem and changed out t stat and water pump and come to found out, my cap wasnt holding an pressure, replaced it and all was good. So i would start cheap or unless you know exactly what it is.

So the electric fan came on before the mark after 210? if the electric fan isn't coming on when it should maybe that's your problem. I wouldn't rule out a plugged radiator. Feel for cold spots with the engine off after it is warmed up.

Well... not having enough fluid was my biggest problem, the Radiator Cap & fan clutch will be more preventative maintenance than anything else.

Back