• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
alright so i'm just about done installing an aussie in my d30 but it got dark so i have to wait until tomorrow. my question is how exactly do the pins and springs allow the locker to spin both shafts independently when not engaged? i haven't had a chance to check and see if the locker is working yet and just from looking at it im a little confused as to how it works because the pin sticks out and looks like it wont allow both shafts to spin independently. does that make sense? thanks.

The outer cogs slip over the inner cogs or vise-versa. The springs keep the inner cogs against the outer cogs, the pins keep the inner cogs in alignment. When power is applied it locks together. Thats a real basic description.

My noisy a** Aussie! I both love it and hate it. But it works real good off road.

aussie5lk6.jpg

I have a lock right which is basically the same thing, its quiet and it does its job. Way cheaper then most other lockers and one you get off road you will truely appreciate it.

xjtrailrider said:
My noisy a** Aussie! I both love it and hate it. But it works real good off road.

Your's is Noisy ?
I love mine and the only noise i get out of it is if im hard over to one side or another ... other then that i forget it there ...

JeepinCoastie said:
Your's is Noisy ?
I love mine and the only noise i get out of it is if im hard over to one side or another ... other then that i forget it there ...

Yep it sounds like the front end is comming apart some times, here lately its been quiet. It doesn't click like most, it chunks in and out even in mild corners even with the front DS removed. I've tried all 3 sets of my spare front shaft assemblies and no change. The gear set-up shown was done by myself and I ran for 2 years before I put the locker in and it is very quiet. The locker meets all of the "gap" requirements and pre-tests according to the install manual. I have contacted the Torque Master's chief engineer and we rechecked everything together on the phone(2 hour phone call). Everything is good its just a noisy unit. I've beat on it hard with no issues off road. The best advice he could give me was it was going to take a few hundred miles to break in and quiet down, that was 5k and a year and a half a ago!

I run Lucas 85-140 as he instructed and that keeps it a little quieter but I may try syn when I put on my RuffStuff covers next week.

It is awsome off-road, I'm just glad this is not my DD anymore!

Thats weird ... sorry bout the loud unit ... my buddy has one too and his is real quiet as well he runs 90-140

Oh and hell yea on the ruffstuff cover
DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

xjtrailrider said:
The outer cogs slip over the inner cogs or vise-versa. The springs keep the inner cogs against the outer cogs, the pins keep the inner cogs in alignment. When power is applied it locks together. Thats a real basic description.

what about when its not locked together just like on road. doesn't it allow both tires to spin independently when not locked together? how does that work?

its always locked when moving in a straight line ... it un-locks to allow the outer tire to spin faster when cornering

it should be unlocked all the time, only locked when it receives torque from the driveshaft/pinion...right?

JNickel101 said:
it should be unlocked all the time, only locked when it receives torque from the driveshaft/pinion...right?

Yep.

JeepinCoastie said:
its locked when moving in a straight line when torque is applied ... it un-locks to allow the outer tire to spin faster when cornering

i knew what i ment ....

LOL, okay :) as long as you knew :)

haha well how does it unlock? if you look at it there are the pins and springs and it doesnt seem like both sides of the locker would be able to spin independently.

My understanding from reading the Torq Masters web site was that only one side is allowed to unlock at a time, ie, when cornering, the outside tire would unlock and turn faster, but the inside tire would remain locked. Is this correct?

Let me know how your install goes, I've got a D30 Aussie on the way and will be doing the same thing in a week or so.

You guys who don't understand how it works yet, give this a whirl in your head

The Center pin is the actual object that does the locking.

the two halves of the locker do not spin independently of each other. (i.e. where the springs are, there is little to no rotational difference)

when torque is applied, the center pin is forcing the 2 halves away from each other as well as turning with the carrier, putting positive pressure on the teeth, and transferring torque to both sides equally.

when coasting, the freeplay around the center pin gives the teeth enough room to push away from each other (against the springs, toward the center pin) allowing one side to spin freely. The clicking you hear is from the teeth on the coasting side re-seating in an engaged position.

A noisy unit could be caused by a slightly oversized center pin, or thrust washers slightly too thick, causing the teeth to hang a bit before disengaging. Or overall Tolerances being a bit out of whack if all other spacing is correct.

Hope this helps

finished up installing the aussie. the actual installation of the locker into the carrier was probably the easiest part. i think disassembly was the hardest part and getting those stupid ring gear bolts off. this was my first time tearing into an axle and it was actually really easy. i now see how the locker works when not locked. the two halves don't actually spin (like goodburbon was saying). i noticed that when i was turning one jacked up tire while the other was on the ground, with the diff cover off so i could see. anyways, thanks for the responses to some of the questions i had. i took the jeep for a spin and could hardly tell the locker was there except for a faint clicking while turning, but if i had some music on i wouldn't have been able to tell at all. i also drove on some dirt to test it in 4 wheel drive and seemed to be working. i noticed it was a bit more difficult to steer, so im guessing that means everything is good. haha. thanks again.

gijosiahh said:
finished up installing the aussie. the actual installation of the locker into the carrier was probably the easiest part. i think disassembly was the hardest part and getting those stupid ring gear bolts off. this was my first time tearing into an axle and it was actually really easy. i now see how the locker works when not locked. the two halves don't actually spin (like goodburbon was saying). i noticed that when i was turning one jacked up tire while the other was on the ground, with the diff cover off so i could see. anyways, thanks for the responses to some of the questions i had. i took the jeep for a spin and could hardly tell the locker was there except for a faint clicking while turning, but if i had some music on i wouldn't have been able to tell at all. i also drove on some dirt to test it in 4 wheel drive and seemed to be working. i noticed it was a bit more difficult to steer, so im guessing that means everything is good. haha. thanks again.
Ring Gear Bolts? not for an aussie, I hope you mean something else

on some carriers you cannot pull the center pin without removing the ring gear.... the ring is physically in the way.... and if you cant pull the center pin thing... you cant install the aussie.....
at least this was the way it was on my d44....

and my wifes 30
and my bro in laws 30

Yes, you have to pull the carrier out, pull the ring gear, install the lunchbox, then zip it all back up tight.

Back