• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj running rich

STATCOURIER

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj I just purchased a few week ago , going thru and fixing the little stuff, belts hoses , oil change , brakes ect ect . However , she runs good and starts well , but has very strong smell of running rich .Any suggestions ? Dont Know much about the Renix. Didnt see anything in chiltons/haynes.

If it stays in open loop because there is an out of range feed from a sensor they tend to run rich (engine temp sensor or manifold temp sensor will do it). Any kind of MAP problem, because of the vacuum feed to the MAP, conductivity at the connectors or the MAP itself can cause a rich condition. Small vacuum leaks, that supply excess oxygen to the Ö2 sensor can also do this.
You will probably end up going through th routine many of us have experienced, testing most all of the sensors, checking ground connections and cleaning connectors. The next step for those few foolish enough to want to, is a resistance check on most every sensor circuit in the harness.
If the Cat is pugged up and constipates the exhaust system, this can also be a factor.

STATCOURIER said:
CAT ? I can remove it we have no smog check here .Bad idea?
If it's the original, it's probably time to replace it. It may not be your problem though. I'm not particularly an eco freak. but a Cat is one small contribution I make, along with responsible fluid disposal and a few other things. Universal Cats are relatively cheap now on days.
It's probable you have a sensor that is bad or the wiring to that sensor, rich motors destroy Cats, so fixing the problem before replacing the Cat would be smart.

I'm with 8Mud on the cat, I would replace if its bad but run one eitherway. I think some back pressure is a good thing just not too much!

Back