• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacers vs. black steelie's?

KI4KWF

NAXJA Forum User
I really need to spread the tires out on my XJ. They scrub at full turn, and ALL the alabama clay mud gets caked in the fender wells. The price difference is not much, and i like the look of soft 8's and spaced out stock wheels. Here's what I've found: [these jeeps have 3" like mine, also.]
these are my tires with soft 8's
3INCH1.jpg
and then these are the same size tires and stock wheels that i have
opinions anyone?:helpme:

spacers put more load on the unitbearings, and that shortens thier life. what you need is rims with the correct offset. 3.75-4" is what most people run. but, that said, if you want to keep the stock wheels spacers are the only way to go, unless you run little skinny tires.

get the wheels. with spacers u have to take the tire off to check if the spacers are tight. I just got some black steelies from rough country for around $200 for all 5 with delivery. talk to grimus

What size tires are you running? I would avoid the spacers as well. Go with the BS recommended above. I had 3.75" BS when I had 3" of lift and 31" tires and I did not have any rubbing.

If it's because they rub at full turn, you can adjust your stops and not spend any money.

they are 31x10.5's. i really want them spaced out not only because of the rubbing, but because of mud. if yall have any experience with red clay, the stuff around here is really sticky and gets caked up under the fender wells and piled up on the leaves and everywhere. its a real pain. and since the tires dont stick out past the flares, EVERY SINGLE BIT of that mud goes to the fender wells. :shocked:
im leaning towards some cragars, i can get them from quadratec for less than $200 with the center caps, and they look great!:cheers:

center caps suck if you have to change the wheel bearing axle shaft or u-joints it makes it quite a PITA. A little black spray paint will work just fine. Oh yeah and another vote for steelies I would go with 4" BS

I run 1" spacers, stock alloys and 31x10.50 with no issues(4" OME hybrid lift), I got the spacers off of e-bay for $110 all 4 shipped.

I have several sets of stock allows just sitting around that I got for free so the spacers were the cheapest way for me to go.

Nothing against steelies, I will get a set sooner or later, I'm just putting the money in other places on the Heep right now.

slider15ly7.jpg

krelja said:
center caps suck if you have to change the wheel bearing axle shaft or u-joints it makes it quite a PITA. A little black spray paint will work just fine. Oh yeah and another vote for steelies I would go with 4" BS
:huh:
i thought the center cap is on the wheel, so when i go to take the wheel off to change a wheel bearing, etc, it would be gone...

KI4KWF said:
:huh:
i thought the center cap is on the wheel, so when i go to take the wheel off to change a wheel bearing, etc, it would be gone...

I'm confused by his comment as well, center caps don't make any difference when you've got the wheel off.

If it's a DD get the spacers and keep the aluminum rims....less unsprung weight = better ride....UNTIL you can spend the money on Aluminum wheels with the correct offset....
Here's 3 inch lift with 32x10.50's
0703Gardendale015.jpg

The rears aren't touching anything, so I haven't put the spacers on the back yet....or the TJ fenders
0703Gardendale021.jpg

Roll Tide.....:cheers:

dlarrivee said:
I'm confused by his comment as well, center caps don't make any difference when you've got the wheel off.
I was thinking the same thing.I thought I was high.:scared:

GrimmJeeper said:
spacers put more load on the unitbearings, and that shortens thier life. what you need is rims with the correct offset. 3.75-4" is what most people run. but, that said, if you want to keep the stock wheels spacers are the only way to go, unless you run little skinny tires.

No.

Spacers do not exert any more load on the bearings than a wheel of the same backspace. As long as you spend the $$ for a quality set of spacers (Spidertrax, etc) and you install them properly, you will have 0 problems.

I went from black steelies (which everyone and their brother has) with a 4" BS to stock XJ turbine wheels + a 1.5" spacer (= 3.75" BS) because my high steer setup rubbed the tire. I already had the Turbines in the shed, so instead of having to buy brand new rims, I got spacers.

HPIM0858.jpg

IllianaXJ said:
No.

Spacers do not exert any more load on the bearings than a wheel of the same backspace. As long as you spend the $$ for a quality set of spacers (Spidertrax, etc) and you install them properly, you will have 0 problems.

I went from black steelies (which everyone and their brother has) with a 4" BS to stock XJ turbine wheels + a 1.5" spacer (= 3.75" BS) because my high steer setup rubbed the tire. I already had the Turbines in the shed, so instead of having to buy brand new rims, I got spacers.

HPIM0858.jpg

Physics doesn't agree with you.

ChuckstrPT said:
If it's a DD get the spacers and keep the aluminum rims....less unsprung weight = better ride....UNTIL you can spend the money on Aluminum wheels with the correct offset....
Roll Tide.....:cheers:
yeah it's a DD. whats the theory behind the unsprung weight? educate me?

oh, and actually i'm WAR EAGLE!:kissyou:

dlarrivee said:
Physics doesn't agree with you.
Never took physics. Educate me on how a spacer, which pushes the wheel weight outward, wears the bearings faster than a different backspaced wheel, which also pushes the wheel weight outward.

If you set up the same backspacing (3.75" for example) how does the spacer put more stress on the bearing when the wheel/tire weight is the same distance from the hub? I know for sure my alum. wheel/spacer combo is lighter than a steel wheel, so it's not due to extra weight.

If it is blindingly obvious, please let me know why.

Edit: I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really want to learn so I know for later.

Last edited:
Wheel spacers and offset wheels do exactly the same thing. The centerline of the tire moves just as far away from the balljoint centerline - assuming equal amount of spacers or backspace. That's where your moment comes from. Draw it out on a piece of paper. If you add 1.5" spacers to a 3.75" backspace wheel, of course it's going to be worse...it'll be the exact same as getting a 2.25" backspace wheel. Adding those same 1.5" spacers to a 5.25" backspace wheel will be exactly the same as the 3.75" backspace wheel.

I hate cheap black steel wheels. Go spacers or aluminum wheels.

Back