• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me about my 99 XJ

Leica99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a XJ newbie and was wondering if the fine members of NAXJA could tell me more about my 1999 Cherokee SE 4x4. Things I need to look out for, parts that need extra care, preventive maintenance tips, must have aftermarket parts, basically stuff that owners need to know about their XJ.

I have learned a bit so far, like issues with the exhaust manifold, which thankfully doesn't look like mine is leaking (yet) and the drivers seat frame welds are broken. I have also noticed a leak that seems to be coming from the front axle dripping on the inside of the right front tire that I need to find out how to fix.

Just for reference, the only options it has is power mirrors and A/C. And it's also an automatic.

Thanks in advance to those that respond. I can't wait to take my Jeep off road!

In 99 they changed the head design so you'll need to do some searching on the head casting numbers to look out for, you may/may not have the problem head. You should stick with the OEM section for all your maintenence advice, there's plenty of it there. I will tell you and I'm sure other guys will chime in on it too, you should go over the vehicle and do a complete tune up from bumper to bumper. Most of all have fun with that XJ that the most important part!! Welcome

P.S. another great investment is to become a member to the board, help support the orgonization.

Welcome to the world of the XJ, and more specifically, the much admired world of the inspired '99 XJ. Ahem.

I'd have the axle leak checked right away as it sounds more like a brake line leak than anything. If you're leaking on your tire, it is probably not your front diff, as most of those leak anyway. Check your brake fluid level first (under the hood).

When I bought my '99 XJ, it also had a broken driver's seat weld. My kid and I took the seat out, pulled back the fabric, and used some sheet metal screws to hold the seat frame together. So far, so good but a new weld would make it like new.

Anyway, enjoy your Jeep.

One more piece of advice. Go to www.quadratec.com and order up a free parts catalog. Along with tons of good parts, you'll find useful diagrams that outlines your steering and suspension parts, which you'll surely want to modify.

pierceME311 said:
I will tell you and I'm sure other guys will chime in on it too, you should go over the vehicle and do a complete tune up from bumper to bumper.

Well so far I've replaced the plugs/wires/cap/rotor and plan on flushing the cooling system and changing the oil....I plan on using synthetic (Mobil1).

The truck has 82,000 miles on it, what else should be done?

And as far as the head, there is a sticker on the valve cover that has the number:

53011281ABM2XJ

Then a "SEQ NUM" 354063

Don't know if this is the correct numbers, I couldn't see any numbers anywhere on the head itself.

pierceME311 said:
In 99 they changed the head design so you'll need to do some searching on the head casting numbers to look out for, you may/may not have the problem head.

The head is not the problem one. That one in 99 is the WJ one only and 00-01 XJ.

something else you might not know about your Jeep is: it has the redesigned, better flowing intake manifold that, to other Jeep years, is a must have for a swap. I believe that Jeep had to do emissions adjusting in 99 and so they put a new better flowing intake manifold. :wierd:

MJR said:
The head is not the problem one. That one in 99 is the WJ one only and 00-01 XJ.

Ok, cool. That's good to know.

something else you might not know about your Jeep is: it has the redesigned, better flowing intake manifold that, to other Jeep years, is a must have for a swap. I believe that Jeep had to do emissions adjusting in 99 and so they put a new better flowing intake manifold

That's interesting, looks like I lucked out with the 99. So are any bolt on mods effective? I noticed a throttle body spacer and a few different intakes.....Are any of these worthwhile?

Leica99XJ said:
I've replaced the .../wires/...

The wires indicate that your head is a 0630. The 0331 heads (prone to cracking were introduced with the ignition rail.
The front axle leak could be coming from the axle tube which means that the axle shaft seal is kaput. If so, it is a bit involved. The tires, calipers, rotors, bearing assys, axle shafts, differential cover, differential and old seals have to be removed.
My 99 (driven by another family member that lived out of state) leaked there.
I tried to get it done locally, some axle shop did it twice and leaked and then they claimed that the tube was bent and refused to redo it.
I had a tool made to my specs by a friend with a lathe, did the job myself, no more problems.

Leica99XJ said:
I'm a XJ newbie and was wondering if the fine members of NAXJA could tell me more about my 1999 Cherokee SE 4x4. Things I need to look out for, parts that need extra care, preventive maintenance tips, must have aftermarket parts, basically stuff that owners need to know about their XJ.

I have learned a bit so far, like issues with the exhaust manifold, which thankfully doesn't look like mine is leaking (yet) and the drivers seat frame welds are broken. I have also noticed a leak that seems to be coming from the front axle dripping on the inside of the right front tire that I need to find out how to fix.

Just for reference, the only options it has is power mirrors and A/C. And it's also an automatic.

Thanks in advance to those that respond. I can't wait to take my Jeep off road!

watch for rot in the rear quarter panels, directly infront of the rear tires. creeps up out of nowhere on xj's. what kind of axle do you have for the front?

easy cheap, and usefull upgrades:
throttle body spacer / bore your throttle body
Police set up-thing; allows your truck to run at 1000 rpm, through the use of a rocker switch, and a ground to the PCM. usefull when there's alot of waiting in wheeling.
cb radios always help too...

LiamN said:
watch for rot in the rear quarter panels, directly infront of the rear tires. creeps up out of nowhere on xj's. what kind of axle do you have for the front?

Well it's a Florida truck, so there's not much rust, except for the roof gutters. I noticed some rust creeping out from under the gutter "caps" so I removed the caps and sure enough, the BARE METAL underneath the caps is all rusted.....Not all the way through, but bad enough that it needs attention. Seems kind of silly to allow bare metal where water is going to sit for long periods of time.

As far as the front axle, I have no clue what kind it is.....How do I tell?

Leica99XJ said:
1999 Cherokee SE 4x4.

You also have vinyl seat covers that are probably cracking up.
They can be replaced with the denim/cloth looking seat covers that are great!
Check with your local bone yard. Your transfer case is prolly a NV231.
Mine started the same way, since then, I replaced the seat covers with beautiful matching color cloth. Installed a 242 transfer case, cruise and tilt and I like it.

One of the few things I don't like about my 99 is the tilt wheel. The mechanism has some play in the tilt, for which I can find no adjustment, so the wheel rattles up and down a bit. I never missed the tilt on my base model 95, so if you don't miss it on your 99, you're probably better off without it.

Leica99XJ said:
Well it's a Florida truck, so there's not much rust, except for the roof gutters.

That's funny. I spend several years in Florida and my vehicles were always rust buckets. Of course I had a 1974 Chevy Vega back then....

You have a Dana30 front end. I'm positive.

Definately spend an afternoon pulling the carpet up and checking for rust. If you suspect a leak in the front like you mentioned, there is a good chance to water has soaked the carpet "underlay" and could possibly be eating away at your floorboards. Since yours is a 99, and you likely spent good money on it you should take every ounce of preventative maintenance you can in this regard so you can keep it for years go come. With that low of mileage I bet you can count on a more more hundred thousand miles out of it.

rocknxj said:
That's funny. I spend several years in Florida and my vehicles were always rust buckets. Of course I had a 1974 Chevy Vega back then....

You have a Dana30 front end. I'm positive.

Hehehe.... yeah, but Vegas rusted-out sitting on the showroom floors!! :roflmao: :laugh2:

Back