• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS is broken:is it worth trying to replace myself?

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine has a '98 XJ 4.0 with automatic. He recently called and said that his jeep didn't pass inspection because his NSS was shot. The garage quoted him $350 to replace the thing. He called me because he knows I do a good bit of my own work on my '89 XJ and was hoping i could help him replace the NSS so he wouldn't have to pay labor. I done the research on how to replace this switch and it looks moderately complicated. I guess my question is whether it is worth it to try and replace this switch myself or whether the $350 is fair because this is going to be a head-ache. If anyone has made this repair, please let me know what you thought and if there are any secrets that simplify the process.

thanks,
Ecgtech

Is it the AW4? If it is its really not that bad. I cant say anything about the ax-15 or any other trans just because ive never worked on them.

Now, with the aw4, its really pretty easy. I thought I would have had to replace mine, but it just needed a good cleaning. I ran into a few more problems as well though since I cracked the compposite housing which I remedied with an epoxy shell. Its worked great. Dont have a mechanic do it! It really isnt that hard. That said, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. You could even call me if you want. THeres been countless guys that have just fixed the problem on their own rigs, so theres no reason you couldnt do it too. Good luck, shoot me a PM if you need. I dont mind walkin you through it.

Jeremy

ecgtech said:
A friend of mine has a '98 XJ 4.0 with automatic. He recently called and said that his jeep didn't pass inspection because his NSS was shot. The garage quoted him $350 to replace the thing. He called me because he knows I do a good bit of my own work on my '89 XJ and was hoping i could help him replace the NSS so he wouldn't have to pay labor. I done the research on how to replace this switch and it looks moderately complicated. I guess my question is whether it is worth it to try and replace this switch myself or whether the $350 is fair because this is going to be a head-ache. If anyone has made this repair, please let me know what you thought and if there are any secrets that simplify the process.

thanks,
Ecgtech

A new NSS runs $150-300, depending on source. Cleaning the thing? About five bucks. You do the math.

There are quite a few writeups extant on how to clean the thing (I think there's one at jeepin.com, offhand... Also try madxj.com,) and the most difficult part of the job really is getting the thing off of the shaft. I've also added a few of my own tips to the job here (I've done it a few times - on switches that people have brought me, and that I've removed myself,) that I've found to work well. So, the information is out there...

Its easy to replace, remove the 13mm bolt, remove the nut lock plate, then the nut. Unplug from up top, pry off selector shaft, and install in reverse.

Or just pull it off, remove the 6 phillips screws, split case, clean off grease, wire brush the contacts, add some di-electric grease, and reassemble. Make sure to keep all the internals in the same spot, dont loose the 2 springs and metal tabs either.

More and likely it probably just needs adjusted. Put trans in reverse, with the key on, engine off, and watch for the reverse lights to come on. Then tighten down the 13mm bolt.

Back