• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler question?

wildcar

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a flow master for xmas from my mother inlaw and the shop sent her the wrong one. She ordered a 2 1/2 inlet/outlet 40 series and they sent her a 3 inch inlet and dual 2 1/2 outlet. I was just thinking about running two down turns from the muffler, or capping off one of the outlets and running a tail pipe. What i'm am worried about is the 3 inch inlet. Will it effect the performance and sound of the exhaust.
She is gonna call the shop and see if they will send us the right one but if not I have to figure out what to do with this one. Thanks for the help

You can just get the shop to weld you on a piece that will start out at 2.5 and flare out to 3" but not sure about the dual outlet, i might would just send it back and get the 2.5 Inlet and outlet.

personally, I would just send it back and get the right one rather then try and make that one work. I tried to adapt a Borla muffler onto my XJ..it was more of a PITA then anything and still was not worth the effort. Do it right the first time and dont look back. My $.02

I don't see a problem with the dual outlet, what i'm worried about is making a pipe flared out to 3 inces will make it sound shitty. The reason most hondas with generic mufflers sound like ass, running factory 2 inch pipe and then using a 4 inch muffler for that distinct honda fart.

Prob wouldn't affect the sound/performance notably... I would send it back and get the right one you ordered though. Let them deal with their f*** up not you.

Why would you be okay with that. If I saw that kind of stuff under my jeep, I'd tear it out right away because of the micky mouse bs factor. Get the right one.

If you don't decide to get the right muffler for whatever reason, there wouldn't be any non-aesthetic problems with capping one outlet on that muffler. It may look better to run dual tailpipes side by side. As far as the inlet goes, it won't change the sound that much, if even noticeable. Toyotas and other small trucks run that muffler all the time with their duals. Its the only size 40 they make w/ dual outlets (exl Delta Flow). Hondas sound like crap because of the engine size and cheap coffee can mufflers.

I have turndowns right off mine and they sound fine, super 40's..
hahabroke.jpg

You can see them just barely below the axle...

ZacSquatch said:
I have turndowns right off mine...
You can see them just barely below the axle...

I almost missed them.

Do you have any problems with exhaust seeping into the cabin? Depending on local laws (like in VA) some people might not get away with running the pipes like that.

Naw, Not until lately when I created a leak where the pipe comes off the Cat.. My hanger gave out and my muffle was just hanging there and loosened it up. I JB welded it back and its perfecto... Be sure to have a good hanger for it.

Thanks for all the info, I will find out about the shop tomorrow. I plan on sending it back but I don't know the shop and am worried they will try to scam their way out of responsability or try to make her pay to ship it back and re ship and all the other bs some shops try to do to people over the internet.
I am just trying to see what my options are in case the shop turns out to be criminal. I do like the idea of running a turn down off the muffler, save some bucks on a new tail pipe that I could put toward a new down pipe from the headder.

Just get the tip from Advanced or somewhere of the sort and weld it on

wildcar said:
I don't see a problem with the dual outlet, what i'm worried about is making a pipe flared out to 3 inces will make it sound shitty. The reason most hondas with generic mufflers sound like ass, running factory 2 inch pipe and then using a 4 inch muffler for that distinct honda fart.

No, the reason for the sound honda's make is the engine itself. You will NEVER no matter how much money you spend on an exhaust make a 4 cyl sound like a V8

wildcar said:
Thanks for all the info, I will find out about the shop tomorrow. I plan on sending it back but I don't know the shop and am worried they will try to scam their way out of responsability or try to make her pay to ship it back and re ship and all the other bs some shops try to do to people over the internet.
I am just trying to see what my options are in case the shop turns out to be criminal. I do like the idea of running a turn down off the muffler, save some bucks on a new tail pipe that I could put toward a new down pipe from the headder.

I don't care what shop you buy from, summit, jegs, or anywhere else for that matter, if they send the wrong one, you have to pay to ship the old one back to them! It's not being "criminal" it's business! It's not like they're taking the money from you, the post office, or UPS or FEDEX is to ship the item!

Back